Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,770   Posts: 1,484,245   Online: 1098

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

6x9 sheet film - a today's choice of flavors?

Hello friends,

for a ridiculous price I've got a nice camera off Ebay - a 6x9 folder probably from 1920s, equipped with Rodenstock Eurynar 105/5.6 (I always wanted to see how those ancient dialytes work), and, most interesting, fitted with a spring Graphic-style back made by RJ Camera Lab, LA, accepting standart Graphic holders. Two of these were included with camera. I have not got it in hands yet, but I'm thinking about using it with sheet film - so my question is, how many companies are still making BW 6x9cm film? My beloved Freestyle has these excellent EFKE 25 and 100 films in 6x9 (though 100 is out of stock now ), but maybe you can tell me what else films are available in this obsolete format? Does anyone still use sheet film in 6x9, while it's commonly thought now as a rollfilm format?

Cheers from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I use 6.5x9 quite often, in old folders...

Assuming that's what you're asking about, there are a few more films than Efke:

Nordfoto.de still has Agfa APX100 in 6.5x9

Ilford makes FP4+ in 6.5x9
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film from Freestyle - they have Foma films in that size as their arista.edu house brand in addition to the Efke. Ilford cuts HP5 in that size, too. It's one of my most used formats.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    So-la-la! And Agfa APX100 is quite cheap in that format, too... I think I would have some when my wallet would be fuller It is, of course, 6.5x9 I didn't see FP4+ anywhere in this format - what could be the potential sources?

Regards from Moscow,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

Assuming that's what you're asking about, there are a few more films than Efke:

Nordfoto.de still has Agfa APX100 in 6.5x9

Ilford makes FP4+ in 6.5x9

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    It looks that Freestyle now is out of stock with 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 now - let's wait and see

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I use 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 sheet film from Freestyle - they have Foma films in that size as their arista.edu house brand in addition to the Efke. Ilford cuts HP5 in that size, too. It's one of my most used formats.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Ole,

are the 6.5x9 films and holders different from 2 1/4" x 3 1/4" version? Are Graphic holders compatible with both versions, or is it all the same? Or maybe there were metric holders for metric size, and US holders for inch size, like with 9x12 and 4x5"? I'm all confused

Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by Ole View Post

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    2 1/4 x 3 1/4 is most likely the size of Graphic holders. I think the film is narrower than 6.5x9. There is also a size popular in the UK that is 2 1/2 x 3-something. Again slightly larger than the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4.

I have tried to get Ilford interested in cutting FP4 to 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, but to date have not been able to stir up any interest. The HP5 in that size is a normally stocked item - B&H shows it in stock now.
    juan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    That's what I thought - of course, in smaller format applies the same separation between metric and inch sizes Most probably, it would be 2.25x3.25". The most reasonable thing, I think, is to wait until the camera arrives - while I clean and adjust it, the film would arrive, and I would understand the film size. Two holders are too few - I would buy some more on KEH, in the same size.

Why FP4+ in this format is not popular? A mystery for me. Ilford does cut 400 ASA film in this format, but not 100? Huh.

Cheers,
    Zhenya

Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    2 1/4 x 3 1/4 is most likely the size of Graphic holders. I think the film is narrower than 6.5x9. There is also a size popular in the UK that is 2 1/2 x 3-something. Again slightly larger than the 2 1/4 x 3 1/4.

I have tried to get Ilford interested in cutting FP4 to 2 1/4 x 3 1/4, but to date have not been able to stir up any interest. The HP5 in that size is a normally stocked item - B&H shows it in stock now.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    2.25x3.25" (nominally 2x3") and 6.5x9cm holders have the same external dimensions, but the film size is different.

2x3" films I've used are J&C (Fortepan) 400 and 200 and Efke PL100. HP5+ is available. FP4+ might be made with the next special LF cutting, if enough people request it.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Zhenya

http://www.banse-grohmann.de/fotogra.htm in Werningerode still have this film... AS far as I know, they cut them from FOMA material......
    So just giv them a mail (they do speek english (and probaly russian... old east-german)). I have all my planfilms from them....

Erik

PS
    I have some extra holders.... perhabs you can use them.... but have to know the exact size......
    Last edited by Erik Hartmann; 08-28-2007 at 07:30 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: extra info

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin