Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,701   Posts: 1,482,636   Online: 772

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Oh I will be, JPD, I will be. Just have to figure out what to do for the half-hour dev time as I can't open the door without flooding the room with light! I am thinking a series of coffee related shots, developed in coffee, and printed on paper, again developed in coffee... NOBODY STEAL THAT! Next thing I know someone will give an example of it being done before... :rolleyes:

And, just because this smiley kills me every time...

- Justin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Akki14 View Post
    Coffee developers tend to be staining (unless you add vitamin c) and pull developers and they take forever (30minutes at least) to develop film. It's a neat trick but I'm not sure I'd like to use it all the time. Basic recipe is just instant coffee, washing soda (calcium carbonate), and water and the starting amounts are on digitaltruth's technical data section.
    Washing soda is sodium carbonate with a bunch of water of crystallization. Calcium carbonate is limestone which would probably work as filler to take up airspace in a developer bottle, or to pave your driveway. Just a slip of the periodic table, I expect.
    Gadget Gainer

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Washing soda is sodium carbonate with a bunch of water of crystallization. Calcium carbonate is limestone which would probably work as filler to take up airspace in a developer bottle, or to pave your driveway. Just a slip of the periodic table, I expect.
    Sorry, I forgot exactly what it was. I knew it wasn't Bicarbonate so I was concentrating too much on not typing that.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you ever get anywhere with testing this?
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    Did you ever get anywhere with testing this?
    Hi Craig,

I did manage to play around with it and it does give decent negatives, similar to XTOL at 1+1 dilution. It also seems to be well buffered but for practical purposes, it isn't any better than XTOL except it is a little sharper. However, it lasts for at least 3 months in stock solution form without significant degradation.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have a serious affliction which has been triggered by this thread. Just stop it guys! Please! I have never met a new developer formula that hasn't caused me to drop everything and try it! I gotta get out and take real photographs!!!!! (Right after I mix me a batch of this here XtolXtra and try a few films in it!!!)

Images
    Unfortunately, it appears that it's not the caffeine so much as it is the other stuff, so caffeine tablets don't work. Fortunately, if you don't like it photographically, you can still stay awake on the rest of the instant coffee.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin