Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,705   Posts: 1,482,832   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

It's Time For... Name That Developer!

Hi All,

I came across a B&W developer formula a while back and I have been experimenting with it for a while, mostly with APX. I can't remember where it came from but it produces contrasty, sharp negatives with fine grain, although not as fine as XTOL. I use D-76 1+1 times for development, although it may be slightly longer than it needs to be.

The formula is as follows:

Water.............................750ml
    Sodium Sulphite, (anhy).....60.0g
    Ascorbic Acid...................15.0g
    Phenidone........................0.45 g
    Triethanolamine.................90ml
    Water to make..................1,000ml

Recommended Dilution: 1+9

It appears to be a PC-TEA derivative but it's unlike anything that I can recall. Tentatively, I've designated it as TDX-1 (TEA Developer Experimental) but I want to know what developer it is as I actually like how the negatives turn out. Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by Snapshot; 08-28-2007 at 06:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never seen that formula either. The ingredients are the same as the stuff I call "Instant MYTOL" (see http://www.photosensitive.ca/wp/easy-film-developers/) but the quantities of ascorbic acid, phenidone and TEA are much higher. A 1+9 dilution of that soup would have a working phenidone concentration around the same as that of XTOL 1+3, IIRC.

It differs from PC-TEA in that it has that 60 g/L of sodium sulfite in it (which tends to affect the pH as well as film grain).

Let us know how you get on with it, long-term.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
    I've never seen that formula either. The ingredients are the same as the stuff I call "Instant MYTOL"...
    Yes, it does appear to share the same ingredients but in different concentrations. Ostensibly, it will perform differently but how is the real question. I'll definitely keep using it as it seems to show promise.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you don't find the right name, you could have called it "Mac-Coffee", but then there are some developers containing real coffee...

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    There are developers with coffee in them? I guess the caffeine means you can agitate less, because of developer activity!

Seriously though, do tell! ...I am off to GOOGLE!!!

- Justin

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Coffee developers tend to be staining (unless you add vitamin c) and pull developers and they take forever (30minutes at least) to develop film. It's a neat trick but I'm not sure I'd like to use it all the time. Basic recipe is just instant coffee, washing soda (calcium carbonate), and water and the starting amounts are on digitaltruth's technical data section.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Coffee makes a decent developer, a couple of years ago there was a good buzz (pun) here due to it.

Donald Qualls has published some stuff in Caffenol/Folgernol, and also there is an article in the staining-developers section of the recipes here.
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess that I'll play around with the developer until I find out who formulated it.

JPD
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    I hope you got my pun. PC-TEA and Mac-Coffee. It didn't contribute much to the discussion, but I think cafeharrar is in the kitchen at the moment, developing film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JPD View Post
    I hope you got my pun. PC-TEA and Mac-Coffee. It didn't contribute much to the discussion, but I think cafeharrar is in the kitchen at the moment, developing film.
    Yes, I did get the pun. However, I though Mac users would favour TEA over coffee.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin