Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,467   Posts: 1,644,062   Online: 836

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Where'd the bit about redheads being soulless come from? I'd never heard THAT particular myth before...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I would add my voice to the caution over using IR for portraits of red-heads. I have a red-gold haired boy with not many freckles but fair, pale skin - I've taken innumerable pictures of him and his skin tends to marbling effect even without IR film (which I've never used with him) so I'd be wary of its effects.
    Last edited by catem; 08-31-2007 at 12:35 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Where'd the bit about redheads being soulless come from? I'd never heard THAT particular myth before...
    Ummm - I think it actually came from a South Park episode.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I forgot to say, as everyone knows redheads are special - especially when they turn up in the family when you least expect it (the gene is recessive - my own hair is slightly red but nothing like my son's)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I had a whole family of redheads I knew across the alley from me when I was a kid- all three girls, and the mom, were redheads with curly hair and freckles. They had the same street number as us, so we'd sometimes get their mail, and vice versa. It was quite a sight to see all four of them together around the kitchen table.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Another thought - if my son were a very freckly redhead (as is one of his best friends) I wouldn't want to 'get rid' of the freckles, as they would be a part of who he is!

Taking pictures of redheads in colour - the more freckles the better - is very fashionable in the U.K., I've lost count of how many reheaded children I've seen as subjects of winning portrait prizes...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    It's the revenge of the Celts, 500 years too late! If we can't have our freedom, we'll have all your kid photo prizes!!!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yep - and I just looked it up on google - 40% of celts (our family comes into that category) carry the redheaded (or is it ginger in that case!) gene.
    Thinks... must take some colour pics before it's too late (he's 9 in the Autumn)...

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Antje View Post
    That is hilarious! Especially the part about the soul. Thanks a million for sharing this!

Antje
    Finally time to read the stuff on that site properly, not that I'm at home, and now it's indeed more than clear, even without smileys, that this was not serious at all .

But as TheFlyingCamera already noted: the soulless myth, that's one I've never hear before... I guess, dslater, that's an episode of South Park I've missed.

As a more on-topic note... thanks for all replies; [i]maybe[i] just as an experiment I might run a roll of SFX through the camera, but in general it doesn't sound like the best idea; quite the opposite:
    (I'm glad I asked .)

Quote Originally Posted by jd callow View Post
    Shooting red heads , especially those with freckles and blue eyes benefits very nicely from ortho film or pan film with a strong blue filter. This is basically the opposite of an IR film which I've never used on a redhead.
    Thanks John and others for the warning. Too bad I can't possibly lay my hands upon either ortho film or a blue filter before Sunday... Although... Hm, maybe I can borrow a blue filter from a friend...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Use an 80a or 80b on pan film it won't work as well as a minus red and or minus yellow, but it will still make the freckles jump and the blue eyes haunting.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin