Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,872   Posts: 1,583,452   Online: 1137

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Redheads and IR film

So...

this weekend, there will be a big get-together of red-haired women from all over the world in my hometown (http://www.roodharigen.nl/, also a small intro in English is available). Seems like a good reason to take one or two cameras into town. I will shoot some colour film (slides, most likely), but I would also like to try some B&W shots.

I was thinking of taking some SFX-200 just to see what happens to the hair (which, although called "red" is more commonly a shade of orange, the way I see it -- but then again, I'm colour-vision-impaired) and facial colour (they "usually" have a lighter skin, I believe??) of these redheads. Any idea on what I can expect when I try IR film + filter on this subject? Or without filter? Or any other suggestions? Regular B&W film with orange or red filter? I was also thinking of orthochromatic film, but I doubt I could lay my hands on that in time...

(P.S.: didn't know where to put this, but B&W film seemed like a good place. Moderators, correct me if I'm wrong.)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Has a red head I'm appalled you don't know the tone of red heads skin, we do represent 7% of the Causian population you know.

Take a look at this website for more information http://gingerkids.org/

Best
    Beligerent redhead

The Netherlands, close to the Belgian border
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Marcust101,

I tried to be "politically correct", and I really didn't mean to insult anybody. Sorry if you feel appalled... And thanks for the link.

I guess my ignorance can be blamed on... http://www.vischeck.com/. It means I'm a bit uncertain whenever I talk about colours...

edit: confused by your link... the FAQ, at some point, seems to confuse "Gingervitis" with "Gingivitis".

Now back to my original question: would SFX-200 be a nice film to try in this case?
    Last edited by kraker; 08-31-2007 at 08:39 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Now heavily confused...

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Lraker,

Sorry i was joking though that may not have come through on text. I find the Gingerkids link hilarious. It is a spoof site and not to be taken seriously. I can't help with your question though so I'll butt out and leave your question to the experts

Apologies for the confusion

Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kraker, earlier this year I photographed a very red headed young woman, complete with lots of freckles and the curliest hair I have seen in a long time.

I used Neopan 400 and no filter, I had a very pleasant true to life rendition of her.

Fitting a deep orange filter Hoya 0 (G) I then shot another roll.

The resulting pictures made her hair lighter, but most importantly to her, reduced, or almost eliminated, most of her freckles. She very much liked the orange filtered roll(s) even though she knew they were not quite her.

I didn't think of using SFX-200 even though I have some.

Like the website.

Mick.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used to have a red-headed girl friend two decades ago and photographed her several times with KODAK high speed infrared film. Interestingly, her hair was unaffected by the spectral bandpass and was rendered fairly normal; however her freckles disappeared and her lips and aureolas very nearly disappeared. Her skin was depicted as marvelous marble stone.
    Hope this might be helpful.
    Russ

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Keep in mind that IR reflects off deeper layers of the epidermis, not the surface where most skin defects show. This will eliminate most skin imperfections. It can as well show underlying venous structures more prominently.
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would be wary of shooting a redhead with IR film, if only because their skin is quite pale, and the venous marbling would be more likely to show. With the Kodak, not so much as the halation would help obliterate some of that. But with SFX, which I believe does have an anti-halation layer, it would be more likely to show. I shot some Konica IR of models, and in some cases they showed pronounced venous marbling, especially in the legs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shooting red heads , especially those with freckles and blue eyes benefits very nicely from ortho film or pan film with a strong blue filter. This is basically the opposite of an IR film which I've never used on a redhead.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcust101 View Post
    Has a red head I'm appalled you don't know the tone of red heads skin, we do represent 7% of the Causian population you know.

Take a look at this website for more information http://gingerkids.org/

Best
    Beligerent redhead
    That is hilarious! Especially the part about the soul. Thanks a million for sharing this!

Antje
    Last edited by Antje; 08-31-2007 at 12:01 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added well-earned thanks

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin