Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,904   Posts: 1,521,256   Online: 1119

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No it has not. But my test is Fomadon R09, not Calbe R09 but these two developers are really close to each other.

An important factor is always how full or empty is the already used bottle.
    Here is a link to two other Calbe R09 failures:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/rodinal...7601111557534/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am using the Fomadon R09, as well.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK. The bottle must have a batchnr. and exp. date (use before). Further the storage of this developer must be between 10-25 degrees C. Maybe this last item will be a problem in Texas.

The sales of R09 in the Netherlands was never an issue because the "equivalent" Rodinal was/is easy available. R09 should survive around two years while the lifetime of Rodinal is much much longer.

Further Rodinal is packed in silar plastic bottles and R09 in PE-HD (Polyethyleen high density) written on the bottom of the bottle. But a lot of things are depending on how full/empty is the bottle when you're stocking it over a longer time.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wclavey View Post
    There is probably an "I told you so..." somewhere in all this, so I am bracing myself.

I have been using R09 to develop my Arista.EDU 100 ASA 120 film for the past few months now with no problems. I just finished my first bottle that I purchased from Freestyle and I usually develop 2 rolls at a time. I finished shooting a roll this morning and just attempted to develop this roll plus another I shot last week.

When I took out the bottle of R09 concentrate, a dark precipitate had formed in the bottom of the bottle. I had noticed this preciptate forming the last time I used it. I looked up the threads here on APUG that talked making a Rodinal-like developer and they all commented that a precipitate would form when you mixed it and that all the precipitate would not disolve. I figured that as the R09 concentrate bottle got emptier and, this being TX where our normal inside temperature is above 80, the vapor pressure change was causing some preciptate to form. I mixed and developed as usual and there were no problems. Negatives looked great.

So this time, the amount of precipitate was greater, I warmed the bottle in running water, shook it vigorously, and most but not all of the precipitate disolved back into solution. I mixed the developer and proceeded to develop.

Both rolls came out absolutely blank - - completely... not a shadow or hint of anything on the film... as if I had developed 2 completely unexposed rolls (which I have done by mistake in my almost 50 years of doing this) ...so completely blank that I checked the camera and back to make sure it is working (...it is).

So this being the first bottle of R09, my questions are something like: Obviously, whatever preciptated out was an active ingredient that was not the same once I warmed it and shook it back into solution. What should I have done? Toss the bottle and opened a new one? Any thoughts?

Thanks.
    Yep, since you're ordering from Freestyle anyway, why not get real Rodinal? I'm only about 100mi East of you, and my Rodinal is still going strong. The bottle of R09 I purchased over a year ago has never been opened, and my darkroom stays @ 68F year round (AC). But I would have tossed that bottle & opened a new one, especially if the images were not reproducable.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    IIRC some crystals are meant to be there. I read this somewhere but it'll take some time to dig it up again.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Søren,

See post 5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    Søren,

See post 5.
    Yes but the OP talks about a dark precipitate and thats what I believe should be precent in the bottle. Again my memory could trick me and Im rather busy at the moment so finding the info will have to wait.
    Kind regards
    Søren
    Send from my Electronic Data Management Device using TWOFingerTexting

Technology distinquishable from magic is insufficiently developed

Søren Nielsen
    Denmark

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The manufacturer of Calbe R09 (maybe of the Foma R09 too) refers to a white precipitate, from what I conclude that a dark precipitate is not to be expected within working condition.

Maybe the OP tells us what the industry replied to him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I must apologize, but I have been traveling for work and have not had the chance to send a request for information to the manufacturer. I threw out the old bottle and opened a new one. I will see if the situation repeats itself. It is the Foma R09.

It was absolutely a dark, almost black, precipitate, and it formed into a very hard block that assumed the shape of the corners of the bottle. It was very hard to break up, even with the back of a spoon. I put some chunks of it on a paper towel, and dropped hot water on it. A brown, coffee-colored liquid (which looks like the R09 itself) came off and was absorbed into the paper towel.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess, just a guess, that precipitate is just the white stuff Calbe hints at, which in your case had been coloured/covered with oxidized developing agent while the concentrate had deterioted beyond its limits.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin