Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,566   Posts: 1,545,418   Online: 1025

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    k_jupiter: I generally use R09 in 1:40 solution - in this strength it should work enough in 2minutes for me to check.

I am not stuck with R09, but I have two unopened bottles already at home. I will finish them and then go for Rodinal proper. I have already come to terms with the results I get from this type of dev and don't want to throw my knowledge of it away...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Again , be aware that Fomadon R09 has an experation date. The lifetime indeed depends on the oxidation rate and UV light.

In our test (Rodinal versus R09) you can also see that the grain of the film is more visible with R09 than with the Rodinal developer. Also the density 1+20 compared with Rodinal 1+25 is slightly more with the same developing time.

I think practical storage of R09 after opening and a safe time to use it up will be 1-2 years, much depending how full or empty is the bottle of the concentrate. You can not estimate the oxidation process by the color. It's already dark brown when it's new.
    And in our bottle of 1 1/2 y.o. R09 there is no precipitate. In the 4 y.o. Rodinal bottle there are a few crystals.

If you want to be safe use the Rodinal para-amino phenol developer. Less grain and a much longer lifetime.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Concerning the R09, yesterday I have developed 2 test sheets of Kodak Technical Pan, shot at EI 25, developed as found in the forum here in 1:100 R09 (Rodinal was called for originally). I absolutely love the clouds and sky in the first picture, and the tonality in the second one (an indoor portrait) is also good. Now I have 23 more sheets to use wisely. (I have yet to scan the pictures, but hopefully will add them to my gallery in the future).

Another reason to stick with R09/Rodinal kind of developer.
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

An Update

I took someone's advise earlier in this thread and contacted Foma. I described the problem as I put it in my original post and I recently got back this advice from them.

1. Put the R09 concentrate into a new, sealable bottle after opening the one that it is shipped in (...the seal they use on the top of the bottle does not come off cleanly and the lid will not tighten completely so it leaks air).

2. Do not try to keep it for more than 6 months.

I thought I would pass this along to the other Foma R09 users. Thanks for all the advice earlier in the thread.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, but I'll keep using my 5 year old bottle of Rodinal.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A little bit of mistrust is the same as a whole lot of mistrust when it comes to developing your film. I am afraid to use the last quarter of my bottle of R09. The tests I did with it showed more grain than using beutlers. I was looking for something slightly less grainy than beutlers with nearly the same acutance. The last time I used Rodinal.. several years ago, it didn't give the same grain as Beutlers even diluted to 100 to1. I guess I will just stick with Beutlers.

dp

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, as I see it, bad Developer is like bad food. Better to throw it out than take the risk!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks, but I'll keep using my 5 year old bottle of Rodinal.
    Rodinal is a real exception.

Do you keep 5 years old Ilfosol-S ?
    Do you keep 5 years old Xtol ?

No because they can die within 3-4 months.

But indeed the tip for removing the seal on the Fomadon R09 is correct. When the bottle is leaking the lifetime is much shorter.
    6 months is very safe limit. My R09 bottle (original) aging test is now almost 2 years on a 3/4 full bottle and it is still working.
    However the amount of oxygen in the bottle is critical in the degradation process of developers.

When using a Beutler receipture the acutance and sharpness is even higher than Rodinal/R09. But these kind of developers you can use on slow speed films only. A perfect combination of Beutler is with Rollei PAN 25 film. Overhere we have the choice of AM50, which is a further development of AM20 (original 1936).

Better to throw it out than take the risk!
    Sure, because it's very cheap so why should you risk all your time for making nice photos and spoil it by using old crappy junk.
    But OK, I know that it is often the time which is spend for getting new supplies which is driven to this wrong decision. Not on every corner you can get photochemical supplies anymore

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin