Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,702   Posts: 1,548,437   Online: 1013

Images

Stupid mistake with glycol

I had phenidone and pyrocatechin mixed in blue propylene glycol auto antifreeze. Today I thought that I would mix a fresh batch of pyrocat hd. Problem, I had run out of phenidone mixed in propylene glycol. So I had a search around my garage and found some red ethylene glycol anti-freeze. I warmed up the ethylene glycol and stirred in my phenidone it went into solution no problem. Then I put a measured amount of pyrocatechine/prop glycol in a glass jar I then added a measured amount of phenidone/ethylene glycol in the jar. Disaster! I ended up with a frothy slurry like mixture. Why did my glycols not mix together?
    Last edited by bogeyes; 09-04-2007 at 04:50 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Someone told me that green antifreeze is 100% propylene glycol but other types of antifreeze have other ingredients, possibly because the ethylene variety is considered the more toxic and an industry exists around its recovery.

I don't know if I'm completely comfortable with hearsay, but maybe that gives you an angle to investigate.

Murray
    Murray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Murray@uptowngallery View Post
    Someone told me that green antifreeze is 100% propylene glycol but other types of antifreeze have other ingredients,...
    Murray
    Hi Murray: Some months ago my auto mechanic told me not to mix types of antifreeze in my car's cooling system; they do not mix well and can do damage to an engine. Using "green" stay with green, using "orange" stick with orange, etc., etc. Sounds like similar results with photo chemicals.
    Cordially, Howard Tanger

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin