Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,740   Posts: 1,515,556   Online: 1011

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Tri-X, D-76 and increased grain.

When I finish shooting my Pond Scum project this fall I've got another short termer to work on. This will include lf contact prints, small 35mm enlargements made at night using T-max 100 and Rodinal SS and daytime 35mm work. It's the latter for which I'm still working out the details.

I want to make 5x7 enlargements and I'm after the look achieved by Mr. Wallace Rollins. You can visit his APUG gallery HERE.

The tones he's getting are great and not much different than I would expect from this combo based on the work of others. However, it seems to me as though he's increased the amount of grain a bit. I've tried to contact him about his work flow and haven't heard back. Does anyone have any suggestions about how to achieve that increase in grain while keeping the contrasty yet long scaled tonalities he seems to be achieving? Is it simply a matter of more agitation with shorter development times? Should I be using D-76 full strength or 1:1? I think this look would compliment some of my 8x10 contact prints quite nicely...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    He might just be shooting wider and cropping.

1:1 should give you more grain than straight, I would think, since you would be reducing the proportion of sulfite, which is a grain solvent in D-76. You might need to go to a dilution like 1:3 to see a difference.

You could also just use Rodinal, which will give you more grain.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks, David. I've already got quite a stash of Rodinal I'm using with my night work(semi-stand). Maybe I'll give it a try. It would certainly be easier to use only one developer in two different ways....

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions about how to achieve that increase in grain while keeping the contrasty yet long scaled tonalities he seems to be achieving? Is it simply a matter of more agitation with shorter development times? Should I be using D-76 full strength or 1:1? I think this look would compliment some of my 8x10 contact prints quite nicely...
    Overexpose.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    After looking through the gallery it seems that the grainy shots you refer to look to be cropped and enlarged a bit.
    Chris Saganich
    http://www.imagebrooklyn.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some certainly have been cropped and enlarged, though even those that don't appear to be ( I assume) have that nice gritty look. Particularly "Christmas Day, Los Angles", "going home" and "Rain, New Orleans". Then again I'm used to contact prints... Probably the best thing for me to do is start experimenting but it's always helpful to get advice from APUG. Roger, overexposure is a good route. I've been overexposing by 1 stop with my first roll of Tri-X400. Time will tell. Thanks fellows. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shawn, I used D76 a few times with Tri-X and liked it but for some reason never looked back to it. In Rodinal you might expect that grain to become more pronounced, but I think perhaps the tonal qualities you see in Rollins' work will be somewhat subdued.
    If I had both developers at hand, I would shoot a dummy subject and try half roll in each.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thomas,
    That's a great idea. I have a 2500ml of Rodinal and I just bought a bag of D-76 over the weekend so I think that's just what I'll do. Thanks. Shawn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin