Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,912   Posts: 1,521,627   Online: 937

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Then again, perhaps the OP could have politely disagreed and suggest that the person join APUG and pose the question here.

I wonder if then folks would have fallen over themselves to help out a "newbie" rather than tear down this poor fellow? In this day and age, does it benefit any of us to ridicule another film shooter because he is ignorant of certain facts?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by copake_ham View Post
    Then again, perhaps the OP could have politely disagreed and suggest that the person join APUG and pose the question here.

I wonder if then folks would have fallen over themselves to help out a "newbie" rather than tear down this poor fellow? In this day and age, does it benefit any of us to ridicule another film shooter because he is ignorant of certain facts?
    Where in her post did she state or even imply that the guy shot film?

And... he had no question to pose! He made a statement to her about TMax film, not a question.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Bethe,
    Another reason to move back to MA.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ahh, Whitey, the list sure grows, huh?

May be T-Max does not have silver when it is in Pennsylvania.
    Since I only know of ONE shop around here that carries silver-based stuff, that may just be true.
    I sorta gathered that he knew just enough to be dangerous and was trying to "instruct" someone he saw as new to photography (he's got at least 20 years on me and has obviously been in the group before). I also got the impression (possibly quite wrongly) that a few people thought I was quite new to photography and was jumping straight in with LF and no knowledge. I may have less knowledge than I need, but I do know a bit about choosing film and cameras and using them. He also said the usual, "you should stick with one film 'til you know it completely." right before telling me the difference between Tri-X and TMax. And I think he's a D shooter, but I'm not sure. And at least he did make sure the one LF shooter in the group came over and introduced himself.
    Ah well, maybe it's best that some people not use film and the "dangerous" chemicals associated with it. I was also told that several people in the group switched formats because the chemicals were too difficult to mix. Hope they don't cook.
    OK, maybe I'm not adjusting that well, yet. But he amused me.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Ahh, Whitey, the list sure grows, huh?

Since I only know of ONE shop around here that carries silver-based stuff, that may just be true.
    I sorta gathered that he knew just enough to be dangerous and was trying to "instruct" someone he saw as new to photography (he's got at least 20 years on me and has obviously been in the group before). I also got the impression (possibly quite wrongly) that a few people thought I was quite new to photography and was jumping straight in with LF and no knowledge. I may have less knowledge than I need, but I do know a bit about choosing film and cameras and using them. He also said the usual, "you should stick with one film 'til you know it completely." right before telling me the difference between Tri-X and TMax. And I think he's a D shooter, but I'm not sure. And at least he did make sure the one LF shooter in the group came over and introduced himself.
    Ah well, maybe it's best that some people not use film and the "dangerous" chemicals associated with it. I was also told that several people in the group switched formats because the chemicals were too difficult to mix. Hope they don't cook.
    OK, maybe I'm not adjusting that well, yet. But he amused me.
    With all due respect, maybe it's a gender and/or age thing?

Why be coy about your knowledge and capabilities?

Seems to me all you accomplished of the situation was to avoid having made a new photog friend. Consider, if he's 20 years senior to you then even if he's a D-shooter now; he certainly wasn't always so.

But relax, I'm sure if you were to ever go back to that club he will steer far clear of you.

Oh, BTW, I have been shooting film for 30 years. I've never developed my own. I am a bit afraid of chemicals. Oh, and I am the cook in the family.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With all due respect, maybe it's a gender and/or age thing?

Why be coy about your knowledge and capabilities?

Seems to me all you accomplished of the situation was to avoid having made a new photog friend. Consider, if he's 20 years senior to you then even if he's a D-shooter now; he certainly wasn't always so.

But relax, I'm sure if you were to ever go back to that club he will steer far clear of you.
    Yes, I think it is an age/gender thing and I was a tad offended that he would assume I knew nothing as well as try to teach me with inaccurate info. He was the type to not let me talk, and to keep talking over me. I was coy about my knowledge partially because I didn't want to sit there and tell him he was wrong. I just nodded, smiled and turned back to the meeting, so I really doubt he'll steer clear of me for that. I've made other photog friends - he isn't my type.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    You know from what he said, it sounds to me like he just made a simple mistake - when you said TMAX, I bet he thought you meant a C41 film. If he is older and a film user it is entirely possible he has never changed from using Tri-X and isn't really up on newer films.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Monophoto View Post
    Just think - in November, that guy gets to vote.

Scary, isn't it?
    He voted the last two presidential elections...so why not now?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew B. View Post
    He voted the last two presidential elections...so why not now?
    Hmm:

Pennsylvania voted in 2000 for Gore. And Bush in 2004.

So which election are you referring to?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    To be tediously factual for a moment:
    Kodak's current T400 CN (ISO 400, C-41 process) film is a T-grain film even though it doesn't have the name T-Max on the box (this is apparently reserved for conventional-process film). The camera-club "idiot" was therefore not out quite as far as some people seem to think!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin