Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,237   Online: 897

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Just saw this in a press release related to the one about the new Velvia and Astia. Fuji is also launching a pull apart instant film. Both color and BW.

What an interesting thing, to compete with Polaroid in this area. It would seem that Polaroid has had enough trouble staying afloat in that market. What does Fuji see that Polaroid doesn't?

Also, kind of cool to see such a commitment to film.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    David, I wonder the same thing, could it be to take all of those passport photos so that we can go down to visit Jorge where it may be a little safer?
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Jorge is probably living in one of the safest places you could find.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

One thing, though, about the free market:

If Fuji is really going after Polaroid in the instant market, they probably have figured out (or at least THINK they've figured out) how to make the quality better. And I happen to think that the quality of 54 and 55 is pretty good to begin with. I have never had much luck with the color stuff...59?...but I would like to see Fuji try to top the BW materials.

dgh

David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Mr Hall what is that avatar you're wearing?

I believe Fuji was making some of Polaroid's instant film. If this is true, possibly the agreement has lapsed and fuji is now free to market it themselves. I think both Fuji (possibly more than Kodak) are still investing heavily in film. Just as coach makers built both horse drawn and horseless carriages at the turn of the last century. I suspect we have a couple good revisions left in the film market before it turns into a cottage industry.

Mr. Callow (any relation to Simon Callow?) I think you are dead on about the horse and horseless carriages. And I also agree that there's another medium sized evolution or two left in film. It is nice to see that Fuji is still in the R&D business when it comes to film.

Hopefully, however, APUG will stand for Anachronistic Photography Users' Group in some distant future generation, far from ours. Just as our generation is pretty far from we collodian plates and tintypes. And just as 24 year olds today drive VW Cabriolets, not having the faintest clue that a Cabriolet is an open carriage.

The avatar is a snowman. A very good one, I might add, brought to life by my four year old son.

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Feb 22 2003, 02:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>Mr. Callow (any relation to Simon Callow?) </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    No. I have a rather sorted linage, but not quite sorted enough to include that thespian.

</span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (David Hall @ Feb 22 2003, 02:50 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>The avatar is a snowman.&nbsp; A very good one, I might add, brought to life by my four year old son.
    dgh</td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>I can see the boy&#39;s got talent

Shooter
    Large Format
    Hey guys, come on down&#33; we will make a humongous APUG party..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I heard about Fuji, and it is interesting. For us, it just mean more choices, which is a good thing. I have always liked 54 and 55 myself also. Still, the more choices the better.

1) Jorge, you&#39;re on. As soon as the sh** hits the fan here, we&#39;re all headed to your place for a few months of fabulous Mexican landscape photography&#33;

2) Didn&#39;t I hear somewhere that polarod 55 is just like (or actually is) Kodak Pan-X? Would that mean then that Fuji has had the contract for making Kodak film for Polaroid???

3) Since Fuji seems to stepping up their commitment to film, I had heard that the Acros 4x5 is now marketed in the US. Is it true? And for those of you who&#39;ve used it, how does it compare? Or maybe WHAT does it compare to, if anything...more like TMX or more like FP4 or more like Plus X?

dgh
    David G Hall

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin