Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,728   Posts: 1,515,218   Online: 958

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Using cold-tone or warm-tone when using spotpen?

Hi,

I don't want to totally waste my money and wonder if I should use the cold-tone or warm-tone when buying spotpen.

I use Kentmere VC Fiber and develop it in Tetenal Variospeed W (which is a warm-tone developer).

The images is not warm, but defenatly not cold.
    So my question is: Is the warm-tone spotpen really warm (almost yellow)?

Since I live in Sweden a set costs $70 (include shipping), so I just don't want to cross my finger and order one of the two.

/ Marcus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I bought used both a normal and warm toned set. Maybe mine are off but I find that the warm toned set will not match any of my warm toned papers. Too warm. I even find the color of the normal set slightly warmish. I'm still playing with the pens but so far I like my old Spotone system better. Much easier to match color.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Frances Schultz (see our website) says that the neutral works better (we have both) in the vast majority of cases, almost certainly including yours: the warmtone tends to be reddish. There is no cooltone, though: just neutral and warm.

She uses them all the time, and they last half-way to forever: she no longer uses anything else for spotting. They are harder to get used to than either dyes or pigments, but offer the advantages of both once you have mastered them.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I concur with Roger over the use of the neutral tone pens, although I do still use spotone (sp?) for my warmer toned prints. As ever with spotting I rely on disguising the mark rather than getting a perfect match. These pen sets come up on eBay on a regular basis, there are, I think, a couple of sets on the UK site at the moment.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Dear Marcus,

you can get them new from www.phototec.de in Germany.

I use them exclusively. I prefer the neutral tone.

Best regards,
    Jana

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin