Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,880   Posts: 1,520,459   Online: 951

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I had one, until about ten years ago. I now use the kitchen during the day for film, and at night for Azo printing. I rent a darkroom 15 minutes away for enlargements, color work, and finishing work. It's not the most convenient setup and I am constantly stressing about chemicals and contamination, but it does work and I am able to do all the film I want and print it however I need it.

I am refinancing the house and have the opportunity to cash out a little bit and I have been seriously thinking of building a darkroom again. I still have the photographic hardware..sink, enlarger, archival washers, etc.

Two questions:

1) Is it worth it, or will it be the computer room with a huge sink ten years from now?

2) If I do, I have and know all the basics...flow, active ventilation, dryside/wetside, chemistry under the sink, screens under the counter, etc. I may have the opportunity to do a little more than that. What else would be worth SERIOUSLY considering? A big light for the azo prints, maybe a vacuum frame. A UV thing for Pt/Pd? Help...

dgh
    David G Hall

Shooter
    Large Format
    1) yes, absolutely, 110% do it!....I just could not go back to printing in bathrooms or converted rooms.

2) what do you want to do? Azo, Pt/pd, other alt processes?....An UV pt/pd printing unit takes less space than an enlarger, so you can have both. In another side I would hang the 300 W bulb for your azo prints. A vacuum frame is ideal for contact prints, unless you are doing developing out processes, then it becomes a pain in the arse....With my Zone VI enlarger I have the option of putting an 8x10 head on it, so who knows I might do that, if you have this option look for higher ceilings. A viewing light table big enough to hold the 8x20 negs you want should be good too....

As far as being a big computer room with a sink, well that is up to you.....I know I will first learn to make plates than go the digital route.

Shooter
    Large Format
    David,

I would not want to go back to doing my photography in bathrooms etc. unless I had to. But I have done it in the same way that you now do.

I echo what Jorge said about a committment to the photographic process(s) as they now exist. Normally, the thing that makes most sense is to separate your dry from your wet side in doing your darkroom layout. The dry side would obviously include your contact printing area, your enlarger, print and negative storage. It could also contain such things as your dry mounting press, matting and framing area. Although I would make the latter in a defined area. The wet side would be film and print developing area, washing sink, and print drying racks. A wall segregating these areas would be nice.

Good luck should you go forward.

Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

lee
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    </span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (dnmilikan @ Feb 25 2003, 11:00 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> David,

I would not want to go back to doing my photography in bathrooms etc. unless I had to. But I have done it in the same way that you now do.

I echo what Jorge said about a committment to the photographic process(s) as they now exist. Normally, the thing that makes most sense is to separate your dry from your wet side in doing your darkroom layout. The dry side would obviously include your contact printing area, your enlarger, print and negative storage. It could also contain such things as your dry mounting press, matting and framing area. Although I would make the latter in a defined area. The wet side would be film and print developing area, washing sink, and print drying racks. A wall segregating these areas would be nice.

Good luck should you go forward. </td></tr></table><span class='postcolor'>
    I am in the process of building a darkroom in another building 12.5 miles from my house. The actual DARKROOM will be 13.6 feet square. Then there will be a wall and on the other side will be the finishing room. (mat cutter and dry mount presses and the storage areas. Right now we are in the process of trying to find a leak in the roof before we put sheetrock up on the ceiling again. Then there is the back wall that was wet (from the ceiling leak and a hole where an a/c unit was) and it needs insulation and sheetrock. We will probably move in on or about 4/1/03. There are 3 of us in the darkroom so that is why it is so big. If it was just me I would probably cut the space in 1/2 or a little more. We have 2 fiberglass 8&#39; sinks and 2 archival washers and my Thomas safelite and 3 enlargers 2 dry mount presses. I am building an AZO area and installing a DBI safelight over the sink. Oh, one of the sinks has a temp control unit on it. We have 3 chillers and we think we have enough to make one good one. Since I am having to install a new water heater I have decided to get a 30 gallon shorty. I have 220 vac on the other side of the wall that can be dropped right there. I am installing an I/O switch so that it doesn&#39;t run when we don&#39;t need it. The majority of the year the tap water is warmer than 68f. Mostly we will depend on the chiller to regulate the water temp. So, big happening at Casa Carmichael with the darkrooms.

lee&#092;c

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Building a darkroom? Well, if Kodak just spent millions building a new plant for B&W film, and Fuji coming out with new B&W films to compete with Kodak, just as they did with Velvia, I would say yes, it is worth it. As to what to buy, I will leave it up to you. Just how many have had to use the kitchen at on time or another for a darkroom. I still have the 5 foot plastic sink I used to lay out over the stove and drain into the sink. The location has very little to do with the quality of work, so long as it is light tight. It is how careful you work that really counts. Still having a large room devoted to a darkroom is a definite convenience. Confuse hypo with suger?

The computer, scanner, digital is here to stay. But I doubt it wil replace the wet darkroom.
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

David,
    You should consider your end product. An AZO print cannot be duplicated digitally, nor can platinum or even glossy fiber base.

Much of your work seems to be large format; it will be a long time before an affordable digital sensor will equal what you can do now in terms of resolution and accutance.

Last year, I finally got a sink in the same room as my enlarger, a world of convenience compared to using the ajoining bathroom&#33;

Go for it&#33;

Take care,
    Tom

I built my darkroom in my garage. It takes up nearly half of the garage. (I can still get one SUV in comfortably.) I print mostly 16x20 and 20x24 prints. I run two enlargers, 21/4 and 5x7. I have a large sink I built out of 3/4 inch plywood and coated it with some kind of boat paint. I use 8, 20x24 at a time with five of them stacked so I can do dev, stop, fix1, fix2, and perma wash in the space width of one 20x24 tray. Then I have a syphon wash and a 20x24 print washer in the sink as well as the ability to tone and bleach at the same time. The wet side works great for me and the dry side of course is never big enough, but there is ample room. I also built in a 20x24 dry mount press under the sink.

For the enlargers I built a table with a top that can be lowered to the floor for very large enlargements.

So David, yes I agree build the darkroom and it will be a joy to work in, because it is a dedicated room and you don&#39;t have to start from scratch and set everything up every time you wish to work

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Go ahead and do it. Just keep the wet and dry parts of the room separate and put in a locking doorknob so nobody walks in while you are making the ONE good print off that impossible negative (which Murphy&#39;s Law says you will never ever get right again). I am using the bathroom, at night, and it sucks to put it mildly. Every time I want to do something I have to schlep all the chemicals back in, mix the right dilutions, set the trays out, hang black curtains, drag the enlarger or floodlamp in, and simultaneously try to keep the critters from getting in and drinking from the trays (while not breaking my own neck). Not fun at all. I doubt you ever have to worry about film going away, and even if it did, there are other places to get chemicals.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Steve, I am sorry to hear about your struggles with the "critters". I had a cat once drank from the Pyro developer...darn, if that wasn&#39;t funny...a glow in the dark cat. Made a good nightlight, though, once I was able to catch her.
    Art is a step from what is obvious and well-known toward what is arcane and concealed.

Visit my website at http://www.donaldmillerphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin