Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,981   Posts: 1,523,821   Online: 1167

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Again a glib comment.

Both papers are capable of superb results, I've used Gallerie & Multigrade 4 FB, but they are quite different.

As it happens neither are to my personal taste for my own work, but I can produce excellent prints on both if or when I want to, but more importantly I've seen superb prints from a wide variety of photographers on both papers and never heard a bad word about the multigrade FB paper since its launch over 20+ years ago.

Ian
    Ian, I wasnt being glib. The person asked for our opinions of the paper and i gave him mine. Simply because you disagree with me doesnt mean my comments were superficial in any way. Ive thought about this a lot and printed a number of the same images on each paper to compare them side by side. The ones printed on gallerie have always looked better. Thats not to say that multigrade IV is a bad paper (i did not say that), i just think that gallerie is better. The question was not "can you make a good print from multigrade?" it was "how good is ilford multigrade...?" And in my opinion, although good prints can be made from either, ilford gallerie is sharper and more luminous than multigrade.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    We all have our favorite papers. Ilford MGIV both in neutral tone and warmtone have 'wrapped thier arms around me'. I love them for their consistency, the great results I get with my Ansco 130 developer, and the incredibly long tonal range.
    I have standardized on these papers along with Fotokemika Emaks / Varycon for all my standard b&w printing needs. I simply cannot see myself needing anything else.
    For what it's worth, I have printed a lot on Agfa MCC too, but I never got around to using Forte, so I don't have an opinion of it. Agfa was awesome, things just fell into place during printing somehow. I tested the new Adox MCC111, which is the new replica of that paper and emulsion. With a whiter and slightly crisper paper base, it is otherwise very similar to the Agfa paper. Very good paper in its own right. I found it rather punchy with good rich fat blacks and nice separation in both mid tones and highs.
    If you test the Ilford, give it a good go. It's great paper and you may find yourself surprised if you give it a chance.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apples/Oranges... Galerie is a graded paper and graded papers do not have the limitations inherent in the use of the multiple emulsions required to cover the whole gamut of grades 00 to 5 on one sheet of paper. These multiple emulsions distort the curve shape, so it is not that surprising that, given a suitable negative, Galerie will outperform MGIV in many people's eyes. A difficult negative however may well look better on MGIV as you can take advantage of burning and dodging with different grades.

Back in the multigrade world, you will be pushed to find a paper with the Dmin & Dmax, contrast range and stability from batch to batch available from MGIV. Possibly Kodak paper did, but sadly that is no longer with us.

Bob.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin