Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,663   Posts: 1,481,658   Online: 806

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    okay. looks like a darkroom or i am gambling.

as far as putting tape or foil on my pressure plate?!?!?!!? what about scratches? damn!

the black dots are on the negs. all the negs have them. only some show up on the prints. i think it is probably a pressure plate problem. sounds logical. i am going to pull out my K1000 and see how the PP looks. maybe i will be shooting my trusty old K1000 with IR......man i love my K1000.....
    eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't think you'll get random spots from halation.

I recall a friend of mine seeing spots on large format HIE and we thought it was an underlying problem with the sheets of film themselves. That was fairly old film, so my diagnosis was those pesky cosmic rays Perhaps static discharges can make spots too.

Frankly, I think you're barking up the wrong tree with halation, which doesn't produce sharp spots, as far as I know.

You definitely don't want to put foil on your pressure plate, that will merely reflect even more IR back into your film. And scratch it too.

Electrical tape might lessen halation, but before resorting to something that will make your plate all gummy, I think you need to do one more diagnostic: next time when you shoot a roll, just crank through the last few frames (i.e. don't expose them) and develop normally. If you have spots on those blank frames then obviously it's not halation.

If you see spots on unexposed frames then there are two possibilities, underlying damage of the film, or (a wild guess) static issues.

I think it's those pesky cosmic rays again....
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    This has been hashed over for years, here is a good resource on IR Film and what not.

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infrared/INFRARED.HTM

And on pressure plates and the like:

http://www.cocam.co.uk/CoCamWS/Infra...RED.HTM#CAMERA

And even more...

http://www.a1.nl/phomepag/markerink/mainpage.htm

There you go. More on IR than one would ever want to know.

I have a little blurb on my home page as well.

Cheers,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Perhaps it's the camera and not the development method/developer. What camera are you using? Some cameras cause problems with HIE in the sprocket areas because they use IR sensors...there's a list of cameras somewhere on the web that tells which models cause problems.
    Save the Earth. It's the only planet with chocolate.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    AAARRRRGGGGHHH! thanks Rob for the links. it seems that my second idea was to use my K1000. well from the links they specifically mention the K1000 as a potential preassure plate problem. i iwll try and upload some pics today and i will test my camera again tomorrow and see what i come up with....including loading in daylight

lens photos here

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've had problems with black spots on HIE that seem directly related to age of film/film storage issues. I've had problems with mottling on past dates HIE that had been well stored. This is a film in which the dates seem to matter. Time from exposure to development comes into play too.
    I've always loaded in darkroom or changing bag. I once improvised (forgot the changing bag) with a nylon/fleece winter coat, in the shade, and fogged 1/3 of the film - not recomended. My 2 cents, Sly

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    i have just put 120 backing paper on my K1000 pressure plate. i sure hope it workd. i did not have the stones to do it to my nikon N90S as this is my main shooter. (i have 1 for a back up but i just do not feel i can risk it) i taped it on the back of the PP. any other suggestions? thanks so far.

eddie

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images

Mythbusting

Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    i have just put 120 backing paper on my K1000 pressure plate. i sure hope it workd. i did not have the stones to do it to my nikon N90S as this is my main shooter. (i have 1 for a back up but i just do not feel i can risk it) i taped it on the back of the PP. any other suggestions? thanks so far.

eddie
    I would be very surprised if this has any benefit and may cause problems in film plane location so my suggestion would be take the tape off!
    You say black spots, if these are on prints they are white spots, or holes at the film emulsion level. Tape on the PP has no way to influence these.
    My belief based on what I've observed shooting many rolls of HIE over at least 10 years as well as teaching workshops using it and so seeing it shot in many different cameras is that the black spot problem does correlate quite well with film storage conditions, before and after exposure. A technical rep at Kodak told me that was their belief as well when I phoned them about it.
    The only camera I've seen cause a problem was a Canon model with an IR counter, it fogged a bit along one edge, even that was usable if you factored it in when shooting.
    I've never taped over the clear film window in the cam back (if there is one) either on any camera a student has brought to a workshop; ther have been no fogging problems so far.

IMHO HIE is way easier to shoot with than is often made out, key points seem to be:

Use fresh film if possible
    Refrigerate before use then process as quickly as you can after (hours/days not weeks)
    Load/unload in the dark (darkroom or change bag)
    Use a red filter when shooting in daylight (orange will often work, don't need the black 89B ones but they will work if you want)
    Experiment with EI to find a setting that gives you the negatives you like (lower EI = lower contrast+ bigger grain, higher EI = the reverse, figure it out for yourself and don't just go with anyone else's suggested EI).
    Be prepared for a bit more work when printing and to sacrifice some highlight and shadow detail for the most dramatic IR look prints.

Hope this helps, have fun and post some shots when you can!

PS, Just looked at Robert Hall's site, the link is above, you should check out the IR How To part because it looks like it's written from real experience, thank you Robert for your generosity in putting that on your site.
    Last edited by DaveOttawa; 09-24-2007 at 08:25 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: added ref to roberts site

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks dave,

i am at a lose. i have 2 rolls of fresh HIE for the wedding. i do not want to test with that (or buy new at my local rip off store!). i am going to shoot some of my old (1 year) HIE. i have some other also expired HIE from a different batch that i will try also. i think i will try the other batch in my Nikon and my original batch in my K1000 with the backing paper in place. i will shoot he K1000 to=day and soup em tonight and try and scan an image tomorrow. i will shoot the nikon tomorrow and soup that night. looks like i got some work ahead of me.

i thought i was on top of this by just ordering new film. i would hate for it to be a backing plate issue all tis time......i hope it is just old film.

what 35mm cameras have you guys had success shooting HIE in?

thanks again.

eddie

i checked my neg. the spots on the neg seem to match the PP spots. they are way too uniform to be dust.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    okay, some scans i found. maybe it is no the PP.

the first is the worse. it is the longest expired stuff. the second is the same batch just taken earlier last year.

eddie
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 619864-R1-25-25_1ad.jpg  

lens photos here

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin