Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,672   Posts: 1,481,829   Online: 1178

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    here is the second shot
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails scan0003sm.jpg  
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    okay, some scans i found. maybe it is no the PP.

the first is the worse. it is the longest expired stuff. the second is the same batch just taken earlier last year.

...i thought i was on top of this by just ordering new film...

eddie
    Oh dear. These are the worst HIE pinholes I've ever seen. The pattern looks random to me = NOT the pp.
    As far as I can tell from the scan exposure looks like something you can work with though.
    New film will probably be a lot better if it's been stored cool since purcahse and is processed promptly after exposure, so far your results seem to point to aged film as a factor.
    Personally I've shot w Nikon F601 & FM2, Voigtlander R2 & L with no problems I could connect with the camera, students have used all sorts of SLR's old & new with no cam problems (other than the known Canon counter issue).
    Last edited by DaveOttawa; 09-24-2007 at 12:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Shooting IR with a rangefinder is a real pleasure. I never cared to do it with an SLR, I tried but found it too cumbersome.

Anyway, just for comparison, here are some hole-patterns seen by Walter Ash in aged HIE:

http://www.lightcafe.net/forums/view...hp?f=39&t=6334

(Walter hope you don't mind...)
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have used a Harrison tent quite a bit and have not had any problems with my IR film, i.e., loading and unloading.
    However, I have my tent set up in my garage and not outside.
    Follow the Light John 8:12
    ~~~PhotoBob

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've used a darkroom, a dark closet, and a changing bag (not rubberized, but in shade) to load HIE. Each has worked fine. I've also used HIE a year past its exp date (fridged the whole time) and not had spots like those. Maybe I was lucky?

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    Maybe I was lucky?
    Yes, fridge probably helped too.

A thought: earlier on in thsi thread the lack of anti-halation layer on HIE was mentioned, maybe that IS a factor in causing pinholes. Not through any optical effect but because the emulsion is in contact with the uncoated film base (Estar I think in this case) rather than an antihalation layer as in typical panchromatic films. The exact mechanism I could not guess at (even though this the internet...) but but maybe it is a factor.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think it's probably a combination of the low-energy sensitization of the film and the static issues that make HIE more susceptible to cosmic ray damage.

In the past when loading IR films (not HIE but another one) I actually saw static flashes in the dark! Uh oh! This is perhaps relevant because ionizing cosmic radiation will probably be more likely to seed defects in a more staticky film.

Also, in school, I recall seeing pinholes in film taken up in a weather balloon, and this was attributed to ionizing radiation. I can't find an example online, that kind of demonstration precedes the internet; nowadays people take up solid state detectors. But I guess NASA still uses silver halide film for dosimetry:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/...radiation.html

Perhaps an antistatic and/or antifogging prewash might help. Any high-altitude recon guys or gals on here? They must have faced this issue at high altitude when using IR film.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks guys. i will spring for another roll from my local rip-off-shop (read $15/roll) to test to put myself at easy. my friends/clients really want IR shots so i do not want to F it up on something as simple as old film.

as you can see the images were from SE Asia and an airplanme was used to get there....and it was hot theree.....and....and ...and

thanks for all the help. i will post again as i learn from my tset tomorrow and i will post again after Sat. wedding.

cheers

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by keithwms View Post
    I think it's probably a combination of the low-energy sensitization of the film and the static issues that make HIE more susceptible to cosmic ray damage.

In the past when loading IR films (not HIE but another one) I actually saw static flashes in the dark! Uh oh! This is perhaps relevant because ionizing cosmic radiation will probably be more likely to seed defects in a more staticky film.

Also, in school, I recall seeing pinholes in film taken up in a weather balloon, and this was attributed to ionizing radiation. I can't find an example online, that kind of demonstration precedes the internet; nowadays people take up solid state detectors. But I guess NASA still uses silver halide film for dosimetry:

http://spaceflight.nasa.gov/shuttle/...radiation.html

Perhaps an antistatic and/or antifogging prewash might help. Any high-altitude recon guys or gals on here? They must have faced this issue at high altitude when using IR film.
    Sorry old bean but none of the above seems to apply at all to the OP's stated and shown (see scans) problem. He is observing black spots on prints/white spots (holes, lack of density) on the neg emulsion, you are talking about various effects which would lead to extra density on the neg.

Cor

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have used quite few rolls of outdated HIE, and never observed this problem. I do store my film in the freezer (-20degC).

It has been reported in the past that the sheetfilm version (HSI) was plagued with pinholes (as can be seen in the photograph of above link), it was rumored that that was one of the reasons Kodak quited making this film (another was the declining sales to the army), and it indeed resembles the problkems of the OP

Best,

Cor

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin