Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,466   Online: 1050

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

loading IR in the light? use a tent?

hello,
    what do you guys do about loading your IR film in daylight? i read you can fog it that way. what are your experiences? i have shot IR before and done a "quick change" and did not think i saw any problems....although i have small black spots on my film! it was barely expired, two different processing people (me and another) so i am not sure if it was cause it was expired or what. it did not seem fogged but spotted badly. i used hc110 to develop it.
    should i worry? how about using a harrison tent? any thoughts? ideas? suggestions? i will be using it at a wedding this coming weekend.

thanks

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I've only shot IR in 120 format. I've loaded/unloaded it in subdued light, usually turning my back to the sun so that no bright light gets to it, never experienced any fogging. I've not shot IR in 35mm, but I've always read that you need to load 35mm IR in complete darkness.

Shooter
    35mm
    Which IR film Eddie? If its Kodak HIE then the book I've got says: Load in complete darkeness. Likewise for unloading and place in special cassette until ready for developing.

In the field so to speak would mean a changing bag or finding a light tight room.

Same advice given for Maco. Only with Konica( is it still made?) and Ilford SFX can you get away with subdued light.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I load the Rollei stuff in subdued light i.e. shade. I used to use a changing bag, but found that unnecessary. It is important to make sure that it is tightly wound (speaking of 120 film now), and it did reveal some gaps in my darkslide lining!
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Harrison tents are not IR proof. Trust me on this one.

One should used a rubberized changing bag but they are hard to find. Many of the inexpensive bags are nylon which in some cases is transparent to IR.

I have used a dark cloth over a sweatshirt (big one) under the shade and I have been successful, but I wouldn't rely on it.

The black spots can be from your pressure plate if they are uniform, btw. Some people cover it with a smoother material to get rid of the "spots".

Best of luck,
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    www.RobertHall.com/mobile
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    thanks so far. the spots show up more on certain frames. maybe the pressure plate is to blame. i am shooting HIE 35mm. what could i use on my pressure plate? now i am beginning to worry about solving this problem. i never thought about the pressure plate! damn! i am shooting an N90S.

eddie
    photoshop is somewhere you go to buy photo equipment.

lens photos here

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Ha! I know! It sucks.

Some use a piece of black electricians tape, others use foil (like aluminum) tape. I don't know which does which as I haven't enjoyed the problem.

Anyone? Anyone?
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Technology is not a panacea. It alone will not move your art forward. Only through developing your own aesthetic - free from the tools that create it - can you find new dimension to your work.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie gunks View Post
    hello,
    what do you guys do about loading your IR film in daylight? i read you can fog it that way. what are your experiences? i have shot IR before and done a "quick change" and did not think i saw any problems....although i have small black spots on my film! it was barely expired, two different processing people (me and another) so i am not sure if it was cause it was expired or what. it did not seem fogged but spotted badly. i used hc110 to develop it.
    should i worry? how about using a harrison tent? any thoughts? ideas? suggestions? i will be using it at a wedding this coming weekend.

thanks

eddie
    Kodak HIE: I fogged about 6 frames when I loaded in subdued light. Never fogged in a change bag (rubberised, is ther any other sort, I've not seen one, readily available i camera stores here) or darkroom with safelights off (many rolls).
    Maco 820: 1 roll, seemed OK in daylight despite the instructions which I didn't see to load in darkrness.
    Black spots: are they on the film or prints? Pinholes do occur in HIE which gives black spots on prints. Seems to relate to how long film has been stored unrefrigerated: longer = more pinholes.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Dave,

One issue you may not be considering is the lack of anti-halation layer in the HIE. Light seems to hit it and light pipe down the roll. Some have found an entire roll ruined from it. Others have found that the felt used on the canister can either reflect or absorb IR. This has had some effect on what has happened to the leaders and beyond on IR films.

cheers
    Robert Hall
    www.RobertHall.com
    Apug Portfolio
    Facebook Profile

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hall View Post
    Dave,

One issue you may not be considering is the lack of anti-halation layer in the HIE. Light seems to hit it and light pipe down the roll. Some have found an entire roll ruined from it. Others have found that the felt used on the canister can either reflect or absorb IR. This has had some effect on what has happened to the leaders and beyond on IR films.

cheers
    I expect it is a bit of both but mainly the fact that the felt is transparent to IR, if you photograph black textile with HIE it normally comes out white or at best very pale grey, i.e. the black dye (mixture) is not IR opaque. I expect the felt is likewise not IR opaque. Fortunately it doesn't matter, just load in complete darkness or a change bag and no problems with fogging!

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin