Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,234   Online: 731

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Tri-X at 1600

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the input. No one's late to the party at this point since I just finished up my last batch of XTOL and haven't had the time to mix up another bucket of it. Which made me think of my only other dev on hand, Diafine. Which made me think of the exposure, etc.

I was struggling to get exposures of 1/60s at f/1.6 of the performer's faces at times. I'm guessing I have a low number of keepers. Tripods, cable releases? HA! This was a pretty 'active' show. I almost lost a shoe, and by the time I finished taking photos, I was covered in sweat (mine and others) and alcohol (others). And a bit of an unidentified substance.

I think I might run a roll through Diafine and see what it looks like first.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Diafine will do a pretty good job for you. It will boost shadow details quite a bit with Tri-X and do a fairly good job of controlling highlight densities as well. I've found that rating the film at 1250 (and lately at 800) gives better results in high contrast lighting situations. Unfortunately you can't always do that, so you make do with what you can get.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
    FWIW, TX at 1600 in HC110 looks quite nice.
    Agreed. I've shot hundreds of rolls of ballet performances with that combination.

But about 1990 I switched to HP5+ and Infotec HC, 1:31.
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fugazi Dave View Post
    FWIW, TX at 1600 in HC110 looks quite nice.
    Would you mind sharing your dev times as a starting point? I am interested in trying this combination.

Stefano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I also got the bug for Tri-X pushing to 1600 recently, have only HC-110 as my standard developer. Started off with the times give in Massive Dev. Chart for dill. H (twice as dilluted as B) = 32 minutes at 20 deg. C. Time was fine but what turned to be the point - agitation regime. I figured in a contrasty conditions highlights tend to get overboard quite easily with excessive agitation, so I worked out a modest one: 1 turn over (slow) each 4 minutes (this is besides of regular 30 sec. constant agitation at the beginning).
    Highlights kept well this way, shadows are obviously harder to pull, but are acceptable in many cases...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The old lab rats dealing with stage lighting often used a dilute metol only dev- eloper. I bet D23 1:3 would keep your skin tones in place.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The first 2 rolls look like they turned out relatively well in Diafine. I haven't had a chance to scrutinize them, but it looks like it worked decently. Thanks for all the discussion!

Images
    The developer I used was 0.6 grams Phenidone, 10 or so grams of hydroquinone and 100 grams of sodium sulfite in a liter. I treated it about like D-23. This was before I found the delights of ascorbic acid. To see the developer I would be using now, look at my article on Metol and ascorbic acid. About a gram of Phenidone, 8 grams of ascorbic acid and 24 grams of borax in a liter of water will do it.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin