Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,971   Posts: 1,523,577   Online: 887

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

DIY non-hardening fixer?

Hi,

would anyone have a recipe for a home-made fixer, mainly based on ingredients available from the local pharmacy?

Readymade (liquid) fixer is hard to come by where I live, and online ordering is not an option due to shipping costs, and/or restrictions on export of fluid chemicals.

It needs to be of the non-hardening variety, to not interfere with toners.

I hope you can help!

Thanks
    S°ren

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I believe the one chemical you will have to get is sodium thiosulfate (hypo) if you are going to make a fixer. Once you have that you can actually get along with nothing else although some additives contribute to faster fixing and longer life.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well, you'd need sodium thiosulfate and I don't think you'll be able to get that at a local pharmacy. I'm afraid nothing else, except for ammonium thiosulfate, will do. The rest, sodium sulfite and sodium metabisulfite, might be easier to source.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Well, you'd need sodium thiosulfate and I don't think you'll be able to get that at a local pharmacy. I'm afraid nothing else, except for ammonium thiosulfate, will do. The rest, sodium sulfite and sodium metabisulfite, might be easier to source.
    Here is the recipe for Oles Quick Fix: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum226/...k-fix-1-a.html

Sodium thiosulfate is used to dechlorinate tap water for aquariums and to treat effluent from waste water treatments prior to release into rivers.

Sodium thiosulfate is also used to lower chlorine levels in swimming pools and spas following super chlorination. Swimming Pool supply stores often stock both Sodium thiosulfate and Sodium Sulfite.
    Last edited by Tom Hoskinson; 09-25-2007 at 03:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Try The Chemistry Store. They'll sell you sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate by the truckload. Also sodium metabisulfite. They ship internationally.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sodium thiosulfate is also an antidote for certain kinds of metal poisoning, though I suspect that whatever form it's in for medical use is probably a little expensive for use as fixer.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One more thought, Ammonium Chloride is also called Sal Ammoniac and is used as a solder flux. Ammonium Chloride has several medical uses as well and might be available in a pharmacy.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Kvistgaard View Post
    ....Readymade (liquid) fixer is hard to come by where I live, and online ordering is not an option due to shipping costs, and/or restrictions on export of fluid chemicals.....
    If black and white fixer is not available (and even if it is) you might consider ready-made fixer for C41 (colour) use if it's more available. I use Kodak Flexicolor fixer which is nearly pH neutral (minimal odour) and half the price of "black and white" fixers. Dilute the same as "black and white" fixers. The ingredients iirc are ammonium thiosulphate, sodium sulphite and sodium bisulphite.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ammonium Sulfate can be used instead of Ammonium Chloride (See Kodak F9 Fixer Recipe). Add 60 to 75 grams of Ammonium Sulfate to a liter of Sodium Thiosulfate based fixer.

Ammonium Sulfate is often used as a fertilizer for alkaline soils.

Kodak (Haist)published this recipe for a Sodium Thiosulfate - Ammonium Sulfate Stock Solution:

Water at 50C --------------------------------750ml
    Sodium thiosulfate pentahydrate---------------450.0 grams
    Ammonium Sulfate------------------------------75.0 grams
    Water to make---------------------------------1 liter

This stock solution is useable as a Rapid Fixer as-is.
    Tom Hoskinson

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    John is dead-on: Use color film fixer you can get from any minilab supply house. You DO have minilabs in Copenhagen, don't you?

Here in the States, Kodak Flexicolor fixer is $32.95 for a cubetainer of concentrate that makes 25 gallons: I use it for everything.

One word of caution: C41-RA (rapid access) fixer is Very Strong, and Very Expensive... But it will work just fine for B&W & E-6 film as well.

Quote Originally Posted by john_s View Post
    If black and white fixer is not available (and even if it is) you might consider ready-made fixer for C41 (colour) use if it's more available. I use Kodak Flexicolor fixer which is nearly pH neutral (minimal odour) and half the price of "black and white" fixers. Dilute the same as "black and white" fixers. The ingredients iirc are ammonium thiosulphate, sodium sulphite and sodium bisulphite.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin