Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,220   Posts: 1,532,319   Online: 972

Shooter
    35mm

Fotospeed RC paper - weight?

I notice that on the NovaDarkroom site it mentions that Fotospeed RC paper is heavyweight but doesn't specify the weight. For some other papers such as Ilford it gives actual weight(190g/ sq metre) which I thought to be standard for most RC papers other than Ilford Portfolio which is heavy and I thought the only "odd man out" of the RCs in terms of weight.

I have tried several searches including the Fotospeed site and can find no mention of actual weight nor any claim of it being heavyweight.

Can anyone refer me to a site with general technical details on this paper or can users of this paper confirm that in comparison with Ilford it is actually heavier. Is it really more like Ilford Portfolio in weight?

On another aspect I have seen references to it being susceptible to fogging from safelights other than red such as the brown/amber Ilford 902 which I use. Can anyone supply information on this?

Someone did make a reference to it being like Kentmere but this was a reference to its speed I think. I understand it is one stop faster than other papers although which others I have no idea.

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In my opinion it is the same as Kentmere VC Select, certainly prints the same, and is the same weight; so save your pennies. Like VC Select it is quite all right under Ilford 902 orange safe light. The rumour that Kentmere/Fotospeed is not may stem from the use of the Paterson orange/brown safe lights, they aren't safe at all, unlike the red ones.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Miller View Post
    In my opinion it is the same as Kentmere VC Select, certainly prints the same, and is the same weight; so save your pennies. Like VC Select it is quite all right under Ilford 902 orange safe light. The rumour that Kentmere/Fotospeed is not may stem from the use of the Paterson orange/brown safe lights, they aren't safe at all, unlike the red ones.
    Dave Thanks. Good news on the safelight front. I was looking through the latest FIRSTCALL catalogue( good range of goods and well explained) today and got what may be a clue or not. I can't decide and anyway it depends on Fotospeed paper being the same as Kentmere which I think you are saying.

Under Kentmere and specifically Kenthene Graded RC it mentions and I quote "270/square metre, medium weight. This could be a typo of course but if it isn't this makes it heavier than Ilford Portfolio at 250 and thus not a medium weight paper surely? For VC Select it makes no mention of weight.

For Kenthene graded paper the prices exceed that of VC Select by almost £4. Explained by its additional weight? Graded paper usually isn't more expensive per se.

I note that you use RC/VC Select quite a bit. What does it give you that Ilford doesn't. You have said Fotospeed is the same weight as Kentmere but I am not sure if this means that you are saying that Kentmere is heavier than Ilford or simply that Fotospeed and Kentmere are one and the same paper but the same weight as Ilford MG IV.

If you use Fine Lustre is this more like Ilford Pearl or flatter and more matt like Ilford Satin?

Thanks

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I would say that Kentmere VC Select and Ilford MGIV RC are about the same weight. Kentmere emulsion is about 2/3 to 1 stop faster than standard Ilford; print quality, and tonality is very close, but I find that Kentmere does tone a lot better. Ilford MCIV RC paper in the 10x8 size is heavily discounted, but their other sizes and types are dearer.
    I imagine graded papers are dearer because of their lower sales in comparison to MG papers, I cannot see that their actual production cost is much different to MG paper, but the production/sales volume would be a lot less.
    The only certain way is to try these papers for yourself, most are available in small packs. Kentmere, and I imagine Ilford will send you a sample pack if you ask nicely.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

Shooter
    35mm
    Dave thanks. I've just seen the notice on the EMMG exhibition at Lutterworth until October( closing date unspecified) I must try and get there. Not far from Daventry.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pentaxuser View Post
    Dave thanks. I've just seen the notice on the EMMG exhibition at Lutterworth until October( closing date unspecified) I must try and get there. Not far from Daventry.

pentaxuser
    It's well worth the visit.
    Regards Dave.

An English Eye

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin