Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,231   Posts: 1,532,873   Online: 1067

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gainer View Post
    Use a wide angle lens and crop. Without any developing magic you can double the grain size with a 25 mm lens.
    That is equivalent to:

shoot with smaller format and/or enlarge more.

Of the relatively slower films, Foma 400 Action has a rather pronounced grain, if that is what you're interested in. Also develop in R09 (either Foma or Adox) not in plain Rodinal - you'll also get more pronounced grain. (check the R09 thread I linked in my previous post, especially the comparison Robert Vonk [Fotohuis] did - R09 and Rodinal results are not the same).
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Medium Format
    thanks for all the useful info. i think i will experiment a little with delta 3200 and tmax 3200 in different developers to find the right combo for me. but for my style of shooting, i really need to rate these films at at least 1600, and 3200 would be even better. the reason- i shoot in a lot of relatively dark interiors, i prefer to handhold, and i don't like flash. so i need as much speed as i can get.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    since i've got some rodinal on hand, i think i'll try the delta 3200 in it at ei 3200 just to see how it looks, before trying other developers. does anyone know what developing time to use for delta3200 at ei3200 in rodinal 1+50? the massive developing chart only lists data for this combo at a dilution of 1+25, but i've never particularly cared for the look which i achieve with that dilution.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I'm surprised there's no mention of PMK pyro with the Delta 3200. It's an interesting effect, because the mids and shadows are really gritty but the highlights are much softer from the stain. A nice edge effect if you have a highlight next to a shadow. Someday I'll learn to use that scanner I bought (about four months ago) for some examples.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    temujin, my development times for Ilford Delta 3200 shot at EI 3200 (and developed as if it was shot at EI 6400 to try to bring out more details):

* R09 1+40 @ 20°C for 45min, continuous agitation first 30sec, then 1 inversion every 5th minute.
    * Tetenal Ultrafin liquid 1+20 @ 20°C for 45min, continuous agitation first 30sec, then 1 inversion every 5th minute (or every 10th minute, have done both).

But first really do some tests to find if this will work for you, or how you have to modify the times...
    Jiri Vasina
    www.vasina.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Les McLean has a fabulous book that gives some ideas on grain. I tried some of his techniques, and although I haven't printed the results, it's worth a look. He's able to push Delta 3200 to 12,500 & 25,000 in rodinal. My results came out a bit underexposed, but it's worth experimenting.

http://www.amazon.com/Creative-Black.../dp/0715314483

the other thing you might want to try is combining Delta3200 @ 6400 with an f/1.2 lens. I love this lens, even though it is manual. (Nikkor 50mm f/1.2)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin