Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,659   Posts: 1,481,481   Online: 1116

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    EI 40, Rodinal 1:50 15 minutes, agitate for 10 sec. then 10 sec. at 5 and 10 minutes. Pre Soak, fix and wash as prescribed.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    What have you settled into for a developer, Jim? I've been occasionally returning to a large freezer stash of PanF+ and haven't hit on a magic combo yet.
    Hi Craig, I've been using Frederik Boone's time of 20 min. with Rodinal 1+100. Boone recommends 2 inversions/min., but I do only 1 to help keep highlights in check. This info is from the film/dev chart at unblinkingeye.com.

Like Frank, I also like D-76, 1+3 for 15 min.; don't ask which is better

My jury is still out on these combos, but I'm close, just a matter of tweaking things. I really like APX 25, but I'm out of it in 120 and low in 35mm, so I figured I'd better learn Pan-F.

Efke 25 seems to be an easier film to work with, tonality and highlight-wise, but QC stinks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    What have you settled into for a developer, Jim? I've been occasionally returning to a large freezer stash of PanF+ and haven't hit on a magic combo yet.
    More thoughts: I'm really having trouble with Pan-F and Pyrocat HD. Others seem to like this combo, but I have yet to nail it down.

Pan-F may be just screaming to be souped in a pyro/cat dev to help with highlights, although I'm not sure how well it stains.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    A good friend of mine uses PanF as his primary film and he just follows Ilford's recommendation for D-76 1:1, 8.5 minutes at 20 deg and he shoots at box speed. His negatives always look great.

I, on the other hand, can't seem to find anything that works for me. I've tried it with D-76, Sprint and Rodinal and I haven't found a combo that I like yet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jim appleyard View Post
    I've been using Frederik Boone's time of 20 min. with Rodinal 1+100. Boone recommends 2 inversions/min.
    That sounds like a lot of agitation. I have recently processed PAN F in Rodinal 1+100 for twenty minutes but with agitation every five minutes which seemed about right.

Steve.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Smith View Post
    That sounds like a lot of agitation. I have recently processed PAN F in Rodinal 1+100 for twenty minutes but with agitation every five minutes which seemed about right.

Steve.

That could be worth a look. However, with the price of film these days (the good stuff, over $40.00 for 100 ft!) I can't keep experimenting willy-nilly with film and devs anymore. I'd like to nail it down fast!

Shooter
    Large Format
    FWIW I use Perceptol with this film, which is a bit of a historic combination. I rate it at 25, and my baseline time in Perceptol 1+1 is ~9 min at 20 degC, agitation every 1 min.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear filmamigo,

For your situation, there is no alternative to bracketing your exposures. You need to run a test roll through your exposure system and then through your processor to find out how to handle things. This assumes that both you and your processor will be reasonably consistent in the future. It will likely require several iterations before you're really content.

One last note, there is no magic in the choice of film. I use a lot of PanF+ because I do think it looks good but, as with every other film I've tried, when it doesn't look good it's always been my fault.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by t_nunn View Post
    A good friend of mine uses PanF as his primary film and he just follows Ilford's recommendation for D-76 1:1, 8.5 minutes at 20 deg and he shoots at box speed. His negatives always look great.

I, on the other hand, can't seem to find anything that works for me. I've tried it with D-76, Sprint and Rodinal and I haven't found a combo that I like yet.
    I think this is the issue. It's as much personal preference (and working habits) as anything else. I, too, get perfectly acceptable negatives from PanF in D-76 or ID-11. However, I "like" Rodinal better. But then, not with other films ...
    David
    Taking pictures is easy. Making photographs is hard.

http://www.behance.net/silverdarkroom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear filmamigo,

... as with every other film I've tried, when it doesn't look good it's always been my fault.

Neal Wydra
    HOORAY! Good for you, Neal, someone who knows whats going on.

This reminds me of the sister of a bride I met this w/e at a bridal fair. She asked if I did weddings in digital and I asked if it mattered. She told me she had a friend "photograph" her wedding and the film got exposed leaving her with only one photo. I replied that it wasn't the film's fault!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin