Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,975   Posts: 1,523,636   Online: 1108

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Just ruined my first Polaroid 55

Took it out of the loader and lo and behold, the bloody negative is still in there. Well thats $15 and an hour of setup down the tube.

I borrowed an old 545 Polaroid back from a camera shop. Is this to blame? or is it me!

Daniel.

PS. There are no instructions on processing time in or on the box, so I don't know how long to let it cook for once you process it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Under the processing lever is a metal arm that operates the catch which holds the negative in place when you pull out the sleeve. With the holder out of the camera, you can press the arm and make sure the catch moves. It's a pretty simple mechanism, and not too prone to failing, but if it's dirty, then it may not retract enough to release the negative when you pull it for processing. Another problem is that the metal edge on the film pack may be bent or distorted which will cause this as well.
    If I remember correctly, development time is 1 minute, but I think it's self limiting, so within reason additional time may not matter much

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Processing time is on the back of the box--20 sec. usually, depending on temperature--and you can download the datasheet and processing instructions from www.polaroid.com. They also provide excellent customer service, if you have questions.

The print came out but the neg stayed behind? When things like that happen, it usually is because the clip at the bottom of the holder is bent. You may have to hunt for it, but there is (or used to be, at least) a good article on cleaning and repairing a 545 holder in the field at www.skgrimes.com.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Development is marked on the envelope: 20-25 secs at 70F/21C. In practice, as already stated, it is not critical and can be extended considerably without problem - I have heard of people leaving it for several minutes.

When pulling the packet out to expose the negative in the holder, feel the packet to make sure the negative has not come out too - as you have found, it can sometimes not catch.

Sadly, since the price skyrocketed in the last couple of years I have not bought any more: pity 'cos it gives a really excellent negative.

Good luck, Bob.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    If you are going to use expensive film, such as Type 55, and spend an hour of your expensive time with a set up, don't use an old Polaroid back borrowed from anyone. Buy a new one with the instruction sheet.

The clips that old everything in place inside a Polaroid holder get worn, and sometimes need replacing. A new holder is an inexpensive way to avoid problems.
    When I grow up, I want to be a photographer.

http://www.walterpcalahan.com/Photography/index.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    After you press the release lever, wet your thumb slightly and use that to help push the packet via the exposure window while pulling with the thumb and index finger of the other hand...really helps!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Instructions are buried deep on polaroid.com. Its there, I've downloaded it recently.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Well better that than spend a whole day shooting regular 5x4 film and getting home to realize that you'd made a mistake and all of your film was wasted.

Hope you manage to sort it as type 55 is a joy
    enjoy and be well

Seamus
    www.seamusryan.com www.canvaszone.co.uk

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by PVia View Post
    After you press the release lever, wet your thumb slightly and use that to help push the packet via the exposure window while pulling with the thumb and index finger of the other hand...really helps!
    I'll second this advice -- it is also how you get started when you want to remove the film packet without processing (but for this you also have the lever on "L" and manually press the release button "R").

Vaughn

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin