Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,761   Posts: 1,516,129   Online: 816

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double-X 5222

Shooter
    Multi Format
    5222 has a good look. It is a little low in contrast but that makes it pretty easy to use. I have usually exposed it at 200 and have had good results in Pyrocat-P, Rodinal and 777. I get the 400' rolls and respool it to 100' spools in a dome type dark bag. The 100' rolls obviously will fit in your bulk loader.

If you are looking for cheap film that is easier to bulkload, try Freestyle.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by patrickjames View Post
    5222 has a good look. It is a little low in contrast but that makes it pretty easy to use. I have usually exposed it at 200 and have had good results in Pyrocat-P, Rodinal and 777. I get the 400' rolls and respool it to 100' spools in a dome type dark bag. The 100' rolls obviously will fit in your bulk loader.

If you are looking for cheap film that is easier to bulkload, try Freestyle.

Patrick
    Do you have any posted examples of that film in 777? Is that homemade 777 or the stuff from kentucky?

Being the sort of contrasty developer that it is,I would interested in seeing how it does.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hello Tim-

Here are two images on 5222. The first one was developed in 777 which I bought from the Frugal Photographer I believe. Since it is prepackaged I don't know what they put in it, but I think I will mix it myself from now on since there is some disagreement as to whether it contains glycin or not. This isn't a big deal since it is designed to be replenished, so I will just gradually replenish it with my own. Developed for 10min @ 26ºC.

The second image is developed in Pyrocat-P for about 12min. @ 22 or 24ºC. You can get a pretty good idea about how much brightness range this film can hold from this image. The sun was shining on the shades, so you have direct sun and an indoor exposure together. This can be attributed to the Pyrocat tanning effect in some ways, but it is hard to blow out the highlights on this film.

I would have to go back and study the negs I have shot from this film all together to give you a better idea what it can do, but I think this will get you started.

By the way, I am not sure where you got the idea that 777 is a high contrast developer as my short experience with it would lead me to believe that it is not, even with longish developing times. I haven't used it enough to fully evaluate it, but I do like its convenience and its "panthermic" qualities. The water here in SoCal gets pretty warm in the summer (26º obviously) and the developer worked well. With Rodinal 26º would be almost useless with many films.

I should add that the first image is a neg scan and the second is a print scan.

I hope this helps.

Patrick

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Patrick,

Very nice images.

My impression of 777 might be more an aspect of my shooting style, usually one stop over exposed to make sure I get the shadows. I did a lot of test work on Efke 100 but then took about a year off... you know how that affects 777.

Second image... nice control of the highlights. I have found my use of W2D2+ gives me a lot of control using staining developers. I have done a little work with Pyrocat-HD on 5x7, but not enough to consider myself proficient.

I don't see you having many problems replenishing it with your own. Just remember that developer needs to be used often.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format

Eastman Double-X 5222

I've read quite a bit on other forums about photographers who use this motion picture film made by Kodak. It is an ISO 250 film that seems to typically be shot at EI 250 and responds well in normal developers.

Unfortunately, the film is fairly difficult to get. It can be purchased in 400' or 1,000' reels, or you can get short ends of it from companies like Film Emporium in New York City.

I picked up a 400' can of it thanks to an acquaintance here in Vancouver (where I am visiting as I type this) and I'm looking forward to trying it out.

If you've given it a try, your comments would be welcome. I'm going to try to develop it in PMK first, since that's my standard developer for non-T-grain emulsions.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Threads merged. There are a few more related threads that you can find by searching on "5222."

I think this one was 5222 in D-76 (1+1)--

flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Being the sort of contrasty developer that it is,
    ?????????? 777 is very soft working, yielding negatives with a smooth scale. It is the very antithesis of 'contrasty'.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    ?????????? 777 is very soft working, yielding negatives with a smooth scale. It is the very antithesis of 'contrasty'.
    Been a couple of years but... the tests I did using a calibrated density strip, 3x4 Efke 100 and 777 showed a much more contrasty combination than most of the developers I have hanging around. I don't mean to contradict your findings c6, but I found 777 to have a very long scale curve, very difficult to print on normal paper.

Notes: This was the the homebrew off the http://unblinkingeye.com/Articles/Harvey/harvey.html site, not the commercial stuff available from Kentucky.

I suspect more work needs doing on this topic.

tim in san jose

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

777 OT

Quote Originally Posted by c6h6o3 View Post
    It will be YEARS before folks realize that Harveys (BPI) 777 is ONE thing,
    and the variation of Edwal 12 known as Germain's Portrait Developer / speculative 7+70+7 is another).

It is amazing that photographers will endlessly argue the merit of ID-11 vs D-76 while accepting that 2 random developers must be identical. But that is photo history in a nutshell ! The power of Magical Thinking !
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Are there any pressure plate scratch problems with 5222 ?
    "One of the painful things about our time is that those who feel certainty are stupid,
    and those with any imagination and understanding are filled with doubt and indecision"

-Bertrand Russell

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin