Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,505   Posts: 1,543,480   Online: 1002

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Double-X 5222

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Double-X 5222

Thinking of picking up some 5222 from Film Emporium. I'll check to see if they short ends, but if not, I have some questions about ordering 400' of the stuff.

I've heard you can get them to respool it to 100' rolls. That sounds good to me. Will those 100' rolls go right into my Watson bulk loader? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Alternately, is there some kind of daylight loader that I could use for 400' or even 200' rolls? I ask because I live in a small apartment and its pretty hard to find blackout conditions - loading up the bulk roll once in the dark is going to be a pain enough in my changing bag. For those of you who shoot movie stock, how do you generally proceed with the 400' rolls?

Lastly, any other tips with 5222, movie stocks, or bulk rolling? I'll be using Xtol for developing. I've read here that its 250D, but for still use, meter at 400...

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I ended up buying the 400 foot roll, and I use my darkroom to load onto the spools. I found that if I pull out a length of film from the roll the length of the span of my oustretched arms, that is about a 36 exposure roll. I cut it, tape it onto the spool and tightly wind it on so it will go into the cassette. It is not as bad as it sounds, and just about as fast as using a bulk loader.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Gray View Post
    Thinking of picking up some 5222 from Film Emporium. I'll check to see if they short ends, but if not, I have some questions about ordering 400' of the stuff.

I've heard you can get them to respool it to 100' rolls. That sounds good to me. Will those 100' rolls go right into my Watson bulk loader? Is there anything I should be aware of?

Alternately, is there some kind of daylight loader that I could use for 400' or even 200' rolls? I ask because I live in a small apartment and its pretty hard to find blackout conditions - loading up the bulk roll once in the dark is going to be a pain enough in my changing bag. For those of you who shoot movie stock, how do you generally proceed with the 400' rolls?

Lastly, any other tips with 5222, movie stocks, or bulk rolling? I'll be using Xtol for developing. I've read here that its 250D, but for still use, meter at 400...

Thanks!
    I just want to feel nostalgic like I used to.

http://www.clayharmon.net - turnip extraordinaire

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I checked a few days ago and all they had was the 400' rolls that have been 're-canned.' I went on the wait list for the short ends but will probably end up buying the 400 footer ($80) if nothing shows up soon.

Fred

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Unfortunately my darkroom is my tiny bathroom and I'm not quite sure if its dark enough for film handling. Maybe I will go that route though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am sure others have had better experiences, but I have never gotten short ends from those people. They just never have them.
    Someday I might order a 400 foot roll but these days I am shooting much more 120 film than 35mm. The Nikon is getting dusty.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's good stuff, nothing super amazing about it, but has a nice older look. If you can forgo the bulk loader and you have a darkroom it is pretty easy to load directly from the roll. Didn't we just have a thread on this? It's all blending together, maybe that was ages ago. Oh, and just so some folks don't get their hopes up, it is not Super-XX but just plain old XX, a different thing all together.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    To be honest, for $80-100, I'd be happy with a 400' roll. As long as it wasn't a giant pain in the butt to deal with. I've never bulk rolled before though, so I'm not quite as comfortable with it as others.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I think there was a thread on it. But I wasn't sure if it was something I found while searching or it was recent. I couldn't find it again...

I have no illusions as to what it might be like. Or even any real ideas. But it's cheap and looks fun.

I've only been shooting film for about a year... so I have no real reference as to what it might have used to be like as a still film stock. I only have experience with 400TX and TMZ, with a handful of rolls shot on other stocks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never bulk rolled before though, so I'm not quite as comfortable with it as others.
    Do it a couple of times and you'll be comfortable with it. It's not rocket science after all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To be honest, for $80-100, I'd be happy with a 400' roll. As long as it wasn't a giant pain in the butt to deal with. I've never bulk rolled before though, so I'm not quite as comfortable with it as others.
    Say you have 200 windings for 400 feet. (I am an engineer and could come up with a closer number but my brane hurts today) Say 200 windings... Get the chain saw out, get in the darkroom and cut that spool in half. You now have 400 short pieces of film, much easier to work with. And those ragged jagged edges are pretty "Arty".

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin