Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,012   Posts: 1,524,700   Online: 838

tbm
    Shooter
    35mm

Fixer runied by heat spell?

I accidentally left a gallon of rapid fixer on my garage floor, outside of my darkroom, during a recent two-week hot spell during which the daily temperature was 100 degrees. Do those of you with vast experience with chemicals think there is a strong likelihood it is now ruined and/or have a method that you can share that will enable me to test its viability? Thanks in advance.

Terry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know that my knowledge is exactly VAST - but I really can't see how those kinds of temps would destroy fixer - ! As with all things - you should simply test. Take a clipping of film and put it in the fixer and see if it clears - I'm sure it will.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had a bottle of undiluted fixer go bad this summer. It was full of suspended solids, even when diluted, and smelled of rotten eggs. Presumably, the thiosulfate had decomposed into solid sulphur and sulfides. I think this the only way fixer goes bad, so those would be the signs.
    Last edited by psvensson; 09-27-2007 at 05:07 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was in the same heat spell as you were in and my darkroom (aka garage) was over 100 during the day. Fixer seems to be fine (Clayton Fix)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I've had developer go bad in a heat spell, but not fixer, but it's easy enough to test. See if it clears a film leader in a normal amount of time, and fix for twice the clearing time for most films, three times for T-Max.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fixer becomes cloudy and smells of rotten eggs when it goes bad. If yours is clear and smells like 'fixer' then things are ok.

Of course, rapid fixer with hardener goes bad faster than that without due to the slightly lower pH.

As said above, test it.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin