Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,207   Posts: 1,531,887   Online: 1061

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Your 70's equipment potentially should be just as good as anything available now. A good 70's SLR from one of the top 5 manufacturers will be better built than the majority of late 90's early 21st C equivalents.

It's the films and papers that have changed and improved most significantly.

Ian

CBG

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Your 70's equipment potentially should be just as good as anything available now. A good 70's SLR from one of the top 5 manufacturers will be better built than the majority of late 90's early 21st C equivalents.

It's the films and papers that have changed and improved most significantly.

Ian
    Yup.

I haven't bought a new 35mm lens in a long time. I suspect most of the glass I've bought in the last 5 years was made from 1975 to 199o ish but I'm guessing.

I haven't a single autofocus anything. I can't quite get used to plastic lenses.

You'll find a wealth of great cameras and lenses out there for a song.

Ian's right. Film and paper are among the key elements to a 70s look, along with the "style" of that era. Dig into magasines from the 70's and get a handle on the way ads and editorial shooting were done. I suspect that between Tri-X for BW - which isn't a fully modern formulation, and photoshopping color films (which I'm guessing are unobtainable in elder formulations), you may be able to capture the flavor of an era.

Best,

C

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are lots of ways to get that old look because that old look is not one but a nuimber of looks associated with times past. One of the most technically perfect shots I have evr taken was on a Goerz folder (Circa 1917-20) with an uncoated lens. Printed to 17 inches off Pan F you would not know that it was not shot of any modern 6x9. Has ample resolution and everything else. Standing next to a shot off GW690 you would probably have a good gues at which was which but standing alone you would have no idea that this was from a 90 year old camera, really. The other frames on the roll you would...terrible flare!!!!

ps I should add that ignoring all other factors and looking at the print and 'feeling it' it is up there in my favourite top 5 prints and I suspect always will be. This single frame completely changed the way I saw photography, cameras and the creative process. I shot one 'real use' roll with it and will never use it again.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OOOps. And a warm welcome!!

Rgds

Shooter
    35mm
    WOW! Thank you guys, you made my day, I am so grateful!

I'm 20 years old and an amateur, and I have no experience with b&w darkroom maintenance whatsoever. It's an old childhood dream.

I'm planning to take photographs of people during their everyday routine but not only.

Some people tell me I should give up and buy a new digital camera, but having my own darkroom is far more exciting.

Thanks again, you guys are great! and thanks for the greetings, I'm sure I'm going to learn a lot during my stay!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    hallo

"Some people tell me I should give up and buy a new digital camera"
    i think they want your darkroom .

i hear that every day. i will never do that.

i also use a camera from the seventies an durst 301 (i think also seventies). but the photos allways look up-to-date.
    only the photos from my last trip (i used supermarketfilms from fuji in a viewfindercamera from pentax and the photos are printed with a white frame around) they look extreme retro. and when i look at them i know why. the colours and the frames. the colours are not so "overdressed", and the white frames give me the feeling of seeing photos in my grandmothers photobook.

ag

thomas
    --------------------------------------------------
    vfdkv (259)

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Make your prints on GLOSSY RC paper with sufficient contrast so as the image really "pops".
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralala View Post
    Some people tell me I should give up and buy a new digital camera, but having my own darkroom is far more exciting.
    Don't give up!! APUG is your Support Group!
    And you're right, a darkroom is far more exciting than a computer. You go, girl!
    Eddy McDonald
    www.fotoartes.com
    Eschew defenestration!

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Tralala View Post
    Having your own darkroom is not only exciting, but you're probably better off learning the original analogue techniques that digital photography spends so much time emulating anyway.

I too shoot a 70's vintage Nikon F2 as well as 40's vintage Graphlex 4x5s. I would agree with the other posters, the 70's look is definitely in the films and papers, not the cameras.

I also own a digital point and shoot camera, it makes a great light meter!

Oh and welcome to APUG.

John

Images

Dressing models for the "old" look.

Quote Originally Posted by George Papantoniou View Post
    You've also got to dress your models with 70's clothes and have them model their hair in the 70's style... it can be fun...
    On the other hand, undressed models can have that timeless look.
    Gadget Gainer

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin