Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,217   Online: 862

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    erl
    Shooter
    35mm
    Simply use what works for you! I used to shoot heaps of 220, with 120 as back-up when I judged the assignment was nearing an end. I regularly carried 3 - 220 backs for the Blad and 2 - 120 backs as backup. Even the down time just changing magazines (pre-loaded) can cost you vital pics at some times, so speed and flow of action IS important. I don't work that way now, so I only shoot 120 at present. It's all about suiting the work style and media to the demand.

The remark about "childish obsession" I think was probably made in ignorance and I am sure by now the poster has become 'aware'.

Images
    Good Evening, Everyone,

Just about everyone who has commented in this thread has made some excellent points. My thoughts repeat, in some cases, some of what has been stated.

1--In a hectic shooting situation, having to reload after a relatively few shots on 120 can be a problem. I rarely have such situations to deal with, so I'm usually satisfied with just 120.

2--It's a strange paradox to me: loading 120 on a SS reel is about the quickest, simplest, fastest thing I can think of, but, for some reason, loading 220, even on the larger-diameter reels made specifically for 220, always causes me headaches. Loading onto the smaller thin-gauge 220 reels made to fit standard 120 tanks is even dicier. Maybe, I don't do it often enough and just need more practice. In addition, washing the film is a problem. Is there a film washer made which will accomodate the larger 220 reels?? (I usually transfer the fixed and hypo-cleared film from the large reels to smaller-diameter reels for washing, sometimes cutting the film and using two 120 reels for that purpose. The extra effort is something of a pain.)

3--Even with the problems noted above, I'd still shoot a lot more 220 if T-100 and T-400 were available in that size. If one of the Ilford T-grain films were available in 220, I'd be a customer. On the rare occasions when I shoot color negative, 220 is fine, since it goes to the lab for processing anyway. I'd certainly welcome a 220 E-6 film, but I doubt that we'll ever see one.

Konical

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I like Hewes the thin gauge 220 reels. I find them easier to load than the heavier gauge 120 reels, even for 120.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    35mm
    One twenty, two twenty,... whatever it takes.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by JBrunner View Post
    One twenty, two twenty,... whatever it takes.
    I like that. It's a good motto.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Don't want to steal thunder from the OP, but what's different about a 220 reel compared to a 120? I can comfortably load two taped together lengths of 120 film onto a standard 120 reel and process it. Why wouldn't a standard reel fit a 220 length of film when it is exactly as long as two lengths of 120? I don't get it. Please help educate the ignorant Swede...
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I use 220 for air photography. If you have ever tried reloading a Pentax 67II in the very cramped, high vibration environment of a light aircraft cockpit, you will know why I don't want to have to do it every ten shots. The Pentax gets 21 on 220 which starts to be practical and without 220 I'd probably have to drop to 35mm.

I use Patterson processing reels and can't say that I have ever found it any more or less difficult to load 120 or 220.

David.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The reason is simply to have 16 shots per roll instead of 8. It makes camera operation faster and easier. It also means that you need to handle and keep track of only half as many rolls.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Bertilsson View Post
    Don't want to steal thunder from the OP, but what's different about a 220 reel compared to a 120? I can comfortably load two taped together lengths of 120 film onto a standard 120 reel and process it. Why wouldn't a standard reel fit a 220 length of film when it is exactly as long as two lengths of 120? I don't get it. Please help educate the ignorant Swede...
    - Thomas
    You have 220 reels. 120 reels have thicker wire and only hold one roll of 120.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Medium Format

my bad

Ok. I think my problem was that txp320 probbbaly has a UV coating that makes it appear mily when wet. After it dried and flatend it was good and clear.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin