Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,473   Posts: 1,570,974   Online: 807

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am going to echo disfromage. I had this exact same problem and I bought a water filter that screws onto the tap and it stopped. I need to change the filter though, since it has been a couple of years ! Also, I started keeping my water softener filled more religiously.

Good luck,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    1. I used only water to stop
    2. My fixer is Agefix, no problems before
    3. my development is quite the same every time, got my rutines and nothing special this time
    4. I put this film first to a wrong tank and when opening the "cap" the film got light, that's why this photo is not well at all , the "wormlike" pattern is due to that I think (and the light on the right in lower photo)
    5. checked my developer, no undisolved bits
    6. no, I did not use distilled water to mix the pyrocat HD, I have never done that. Just straight from water pipe, 20 degrees.

Here is a high resolution scan.

And a bigger:

Both straight from scanner.

But anyway, I will try again, because this Pcat HD has been so great with medium format (Ilford HP5 as with FP4 and Delta 100) and as I told, this never has happened before.

Oh yes, this solution B has turned very light orange (or reddish). These bottles have been open for a year (squeezed the air off), can it affect?

But I will also search for "pinholes". Thank you all anyway!
    - Heli

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think you may be pushing the limits for the age of your Pyrocat. If you have a fresh kit, try mixing it up and see if that cures your problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Year old Pyrocat HD!?!? Yikes, that sounds like a problem to me. Best of luck. Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes! year old stock solution A is pushing it!

I mix my Pyrocat in Propylene Glycol which gives me a very long shelf life.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't think it is the age of the solution, or the stop bath, or the fixer. It just seems that this is a problem that happens with p-cat and HP-5 for some people. You are now in the club. I've had this issue, I'm one of the folks who sent film to Sandy to check out. I've run a bunch of tests, trying to narrow it down. I did have better luck with P-Cat in Glycol, but for me it was always rather random, I never had so many spots in one frame as you have shown. This has come up for others, but the answer is still out there. Do a search on Pyrocat and HP-5 and the other threads should come up: Here is one:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...atibility.html

I wonder if stand development has anything to do with how many spots one might get? I'd love to get an answer for this whole issue!

Good luck-- erik

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by erikg View Post
    I don't think it is the age of the solution, or the stop bath, or the fixer. It just seems that this is a problem that happens with p-cat and HP-5 for some people. You are now in the club. I've had this issue, I'm one of the folks who sent film to Sandy to check out. I've run a bunch of tests, trying to narrow it down. I did have better luck with P-Cat in Glycol, but for me it was always rather random, I never had so many spots in one frame as you have shown. This has come up for others, but the answer is still out there. Do a search on Pyrocat and HP-5 and the other threads should come up: Here is one:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/3...atibility.html

I wonder if stand development has anything to do with how many spots one might get? I'd love to get an answer for this whole issue!

Good luck-- erik
    I really don't have an answer to this problem. The thing that makes it hard to pin down is that people are using the term pinhole to describe a problem, but all of the actual scans of the irregularities indicate there is not a single type of problem. The irregularities on Eric's film, as I recall, suggested that there was some kind of separation of the emulsion from the base, and then a subsequent tear or eruption of the separation. I posted an example of this problem some time back. The current irregularities are entirely different in that there is clearly no emulsion separation or tearing. Also, the incidence is far greater than anything reported previously.

The fact that the overwhelming majority of folks who use Pyrocat-HD and HP5+ have not experienced any problem suggests to me that the most likely culprit is some type of water contamination. There could also be some type of gases entrapped inside the HP5+ emulsion that only erupt in very specific, and fairly rare, conditions.

Sandy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sandy,

I have some negatives that have almost that many spots on them and they were developed semi-stand. I can send them to you if you want. But, I'm pretty sure that there are tears in the emulsion as you describe so I'm not sure you would learn anything new.

I wonder if all of the folks affected have hard water?

Thanks,

Will
    "I am an anarchist." - HCB
    "I wanna be anarchist." - JR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have tried it with distilled water used throughout, and I still have had some defects, although as I mentioned, far fewer than is reported here. Will's comment makes me think that stand and semi-stand may increase the problem for those who have the problem. Sounds like one of those disclaimers on the drug commericals. It is a mystery. Lucky for me that I wasn't married to 35mm HP-5. There are other fish in the sea and thankfully other high speed films on the market.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I've been using distilled water the entire time.. and stand or semi-stand. The spots have shown up on both 35 mm and 120 HP5.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin