Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,493   Posts: 1,644,921   Online: 1163

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Problem with Pyrocat HD

This has happened never before . My first time developing Ilford HP5 35 mm in Pyrocat HD, semi-stand, and the white dots on film . Problem with bubbles or what? I pre washed the film for 5 min and then avout 3-5 min agitation and then stand about 20 min, agitation for 2-3 min and stand for 25. All together 50 min which has been great for 6x6 film.

Here can be seen the dots. Naturally black dots on print . Well, I messed up with this more and it "got light"... But let's not talk about that

Question is, what did I do wrong? I have developed a lot of films the same way and this problem never occured.
    - Heli

Shooter
    Medium Format
    not enough banging to loosen air bubbles? did you use an acid stop bath? nice picture by the way

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Leon . Actually, now that I'm trying to think it might be that I forgot to bangbang... I developed in Rodinal another at the same time and agitated every minute. I could have done it... forgotten to bangbang I mean.. Oh dear... I'm not sure though...

But, can there be any other reasons for those dots?

I used only water to stop.
    Last edited by HeliH; 09-30-2007 at 06:28 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    - Heli

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Heli, I seem to remember a similar thread with this question. Can you do a search and see if it hasn't come up before on apug? If I'm not mistaken, the same thing was happening to someone else. tim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Heli - I had a very similar thing happen using an acid stop bath (even very, very weak) with alkaline fixer (TF-4). Very important with an alkaline fixer not to use anything but water (they recommend running, for 1 minute) with alkaline fix. Also, if this is the case, don't use the fix again.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HeliH View Post
    Thanks Leon . Actually, now that I'm trying to think it might be that I forgot to bangbang... I developed in Rodinal another at the same time and agitated every minute. I could have done it... forgotten to bangbang I mean.. Oh dear... I'm not sure though...

But, can there be any other reasons for those dots?

I used only water to stop.
    Hi,

Could you scan one of the spots (directly from film) at very high resolution and post the image here? Some while back a couple of photographers sent me some processed HP5+ that had some highly unique spots that looked like separation of the emulsion from the base. It would be interesting to compare your spots with the earlier ones to see if there is a physical similarity.

Sandy

Heli --

Looking closely at the image on the screen, it appears there may be some reticulation going on. Look very closely in the very upper right-hand corner and at some of the other dark areas. I see a "wormlike" pattern. (It also could be weird scanning/digital/compression effects.)

If your temperatures somehow got out of control enough to cause reticulation, some loss of emulsion bits might also happen. I had reticulation once when developing in PMK and washing in water that got very warm. I think the tanning and hardening of the emulsion followed by warm water that swelled the emulsion caused the effect in my case. I don't recall whether there was any emulsion loss. I threw the film out without printing it.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Could there be some undisolved bits in your developer? I used to have this problem when using Beutler two bath, eventually gave up using it.

Tony

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Heli,
    This is a problem I have also had with HP5 in Pcat HD. I don't have any answers, but can tell you its not the stop (I use water). I also use the liquid PCAT from Photo Formulary. Mixed with distilled water.

Run a search on "pinholes".... there are more threads, but not really any definite answers. :-(
    Last edited by Valerie; 10-01-2007 at 11:16 AM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Added info.
    "So I am turning over a new leaf but the page is stuck". Diane Arbus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My vote is for some kind of contamination in the water. If you did not use distilled water to mix the Pyrocat, I would try it and see if that helps. I had a very similar problem when I tried WD2D+ and distilled water solved it.

Richard Wasserman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin