Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,447   Online: 925

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Efke 25 development

I have just purchased a 50 sheet box of Efke 25 in 5x4 and would appreciate some exposure and development info. I tried the massive dev. chart and it only lists 35mm and 120 times. Is the sheet film the same? Some people recommend using the film at iso 50. I will be using either ID11 1:1 or Rodinal so some idea of times/ exposure index would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tony.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    This from the Digitaltruth site for efke 25 4x5:

Do NOT over-expose Efke Emulsions! This film is not recommended for pull processing. Treat the wet emulsion with extreme care. We recommend the use of hardener in the stop bath or fixer. Never use a stop-bath with a higher concentration than 2% -- in fact, we recommend the use of plain water in place of a stop bath. Efke sheet films are coated on a polyester base (175 microns plus coating). If exposed to film's regular speed of ISO 25, the following developing times apply: Kodak D76/ID-11 = 6 Minutes If ISO 25 film is exposed to ISO 50 for increased speed and optimum differentiation of highlights, the following developing times apply: Kodak D76/ID-11 = 8-9 minutes.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would assume it to be similar to 120. I found it to work fine as 25 with rich shadow detail.

IMHO Rodinal 1+100 for ~10 minutes works better since the contrast is very easy to blow. Grain is inexistent so ID11 1+1 or 1+3 could also be used to get times "manageable" .
    Mama took my APX away.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you kindly for that info. I think that I will try rodinal at 1:100 for starters.
    Tony

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    You forget an essential information: temperature !!!
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot Efke 25 and 100 at box speed.

I treat the sheet film the same as 120 film, assuming the same development technique. So, for inversion (5 inversions at the start of each minute for the first three minutes, then one inversion every three minutes thereafter) I develop in Rodinal 1+100 for 17 minutes at 20C

For stand development, agitate gently for the first minute, then stand for one hour.

For development in the Orbital processor (continuous agitation), I've used PC-TEA 1+50 for 8 minutes at 20C. My PC-TEA times are based on D76 1+1 so that could be a good guide for ID11.

Water stop, then fix as usual.

I have accidentally shot this at 100, at got excellent results - I just developed it a little longer (25 minutes in Rodinal 1+100 if I recall correctly).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tony lockerbie View Post
    I have just purchased a 50 sheet box of Efke 25 in 5x4 and would appreciate some exposure and development info. I tried the massive dev. chart and it only lists 35mm and 120 times. Is the sheet film the same? Some people recommend using the film at iso 50. I will be using either ID11 1:1 or Rodinal so some idea of times/ exposure index would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tony.
    Tony, I rate Efke 25 sheet film at an Effective Film Speed of 25 and develop it semi-stand in either Pyrocat-HD (or in Pyrocat M-C) diluted 1+1+100 for 16 minutes at 70F. I presoak for 2-5 minutes in 70F water.

I rate and develop Efke 25 35mm and 120 rollfilm the same way.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I don't know where all the fear of scratching this film comes from. I use it in sizes from 4x5 to 7x17 and don't have a scratch yet. Careful handling is the answer. Yes, I sometimes develop in trays and at other times in a Jobo. I don't use a hardener.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Over on Flickr Dorothy (aka luvdatrodinal) regularly shoots Efke 25 @ EI 12 in Rodinal 1:100 semi-stand for an hour. While I haven't loaded my 4x5 Efke 25 yet, I've been processing Rodinal 1:50 10-11min (depending on subject contrast) and have been very happy with the results.

Stick with Rodinal and you can't go wrong!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/42499129@N00/

Yes, she's pretty well informed about Rodinal and stand development and pretty active in testing new materials and methods.
    She's also one of our Rollei reference customers in the USA for the new Rollei ATP-V1 Technical Pan film and the Rollei Digibase CN200 film.

A very promising fine-art photographer for the near future.

Best regards,

Robert

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin