Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,856   Posts: 1,583,022   Online: 972

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've switched to distilled water for making photographic solutions, especially developers. I've had issues with regards to calcium carbonate deposits forming in certain solutions. Since the switch, there hasn't been any problems.
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    Is there any advantage (or even disadvantage) in using distilled water for mixing a) developer b)stop bath c) fixer or d)wetting agent? I can always get as much as I want for free, so I thought maybe its a good idea since the water is really clean.
    Developer, fixer and hypo-clearing agents should NOT be made with distilled water. They were not formulated for using such water and will not yield optimal results.

Photo-flo should be made with distilled water.
    "A certain amount of contempt for the material employed to express an idea is indispensable to the purest realization of this idea." Man Ray

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post
    Developer, fixer and hypo-clearing agents should NOT be made with distilled water. They were not formulated for using such water and will not yield optimal results.
    This doesn't make any sense.

Distilled water is pure water - H2O. Tap water is pure water that has a variety of contaminants in it, but the contaminants vary from place to place. How could a chemical manufacturer possibly design a developer, fixer or hypoclear for optimum use in tap water without knowing specifically the composition of that tap water? And how could he possibly market something on a global basis when the actual composition of tap water varies so widely.

No, the notion that photo chemicals were designed for optimum use in tap water rather than distilled water fails the common sense test.
    Louie

Images
    Some developers have been designed to tolerate most tap water. Perhaps in touting that fact, the statement was made that tap water is optimum, but it should have read "There is no need for distilled water. Optimum results will be obtained with tap water." That statement may or may not be true. I have encountered tap water that was not fit to drink because of the amount of chlorine in it. You don't always realize it. When I moved to this place I got used to the deepwell water that is cool in hottest weather, sweet to the taste and, unfortunately for carbonate developers, very hard, but that's good for the heart. When I visit my old haunts, I can hardly stand to wash my face for the chlorine in the water.

I use a lot of borax and sodium metaborate in my developers because they do not require either distilled water or EDTA.
    Gadget Gainer

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Changeling1 View Post

Photo-flo should be made with distilled water.
    Could you maybe provide a source or authority cite for this? Especially for developer, fix and hypo-clear?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I always give my film a final bath in distilled water with some wetting agent, but that's really all I do because the tap water is very good here.

Antje

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin