Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,465   Posts: 1,570,674   Online: 876

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

better use distilled water?

Is there any advantage (or even disadvantage) in using distilled water for mixing a) developer b)stop bath c) fixer or d)wetting agent? I can always get as much as I want for free, so I thought maybe its a good idea since the water is really clean.

Shooter
    35mm
    Hi, I always use tap water for dev, stop & fix but have found distilled water to be 100% better for wetting agent -in fact my negs hve been 100% clean since doing this about a yer ago.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If you can get an infinite supply for free, there's no reason not to use it. For certain developers, distilled water is critical for making the stock solution. For stop and fix, it is generally irrelevant which kind of water you use, so long as your tap water does not have an extreme Ph.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Is your tap water fit to drink? If you let a container of tap water sit for a few hours, do you find sediment on the bottom? If you can answer yes to the first question and no to the second, then your tap water is perfectly fine for photographic use.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Bonk,

The advantage is you will know what you've got. Many (most?) have no problems using tap water but I consider it cheap insurance. I use it for everything but wash water (I use distilled for the final rinse with wetting agent as well).

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Commercial photo chemicals (either powders such as D-76, or liquid concentrates) have components in them to allow them to work fine with a wide variety of water. If you are mixing up "custom" chemicals from individual components then distilled water is best.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    The de-ionisedwater at all motor suppliers is by far the best insurance against local water incompatibility problems with developer mixes. After that, tap water is 'probably ' fine.

I have had troubles with wash water here - it is terribly hard and I have had to add Calgon to avoid unusual effects.

Murray Kelly

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I strongly advocate use of distilled (or RO filtered) water for mixing PhotoFlo for the final rinse. Pure water results in clean negatives.

I also keep a supply of distilled water for use in diluting chemicals for Pt/Pd printing. The chemicals are so expensive that I want to make sure there is no chance of contamination based on water quality.

But for the other chemicals, ordinary tap water is fine.
    Louie

Shooter
    35mm RF
    I have been experimenting with distilled water and filtered tap water for the final rinse (with wash-aid). Strangely, I've had more problems with the distilled water than with the filtered water. Not sure if this is because the previous steps were in filtered water (in a hard water area) but I'm not bothering with distilled water any more.

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have two darkrooms that I use on a regular basis, one in the central Appalachians, and the other in Manhattan. I have always mixed D76 from tap water at both. Early on, I discovered that I needed to use drastically different development times for each location, for identical film (mostly Tri-x and TMY), exposed with the same meters and cameras.

After eliminating all other variables that I could (e.g., using two Kodak Process thermometers, calibrated together, using fresh d76 from same batch), I was forced to conclude that the pH and mineral content of the two water sources was the culprit.

With adjustment, I can create identical negatives at either location, but the difference is about 2 minutes +/- development time.

I assume that distilled for mixing developer would be standard everywhere and thus eliminate this situation, but I never bothered, just used the time adjustment.

I do, however, use distilled for final rinse in wetting agent, and for the critical parts of alternative processes. I think that if I had free access to unlimited distilled, I would use it for almost everything.
    Good Luck and Have Fun!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin