Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,901   Posts: 1,584,523   Online: 1044

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Bergger News

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Just re-read the Bergger press release, and it says "Bergger has made arrangements with Harman Technologies to produce their line of black and white coating processes"

So maybe they are dealing with Harman only for coating, not emulsion production.

By the way, anybody feels like me that they've turned into a "Filmspotter" ? You know, the equivalent of the trainspotters, those who keep tabs of train schedules, boxcar numbers, etc etc?
    It's all too much for me. I'm going to get a DSLR so I can take pictures of the batch numbers on the back of boxes and post them on the internet.

I have tried all of the Bergger papers and, while very nice, decided they weren't for me at the significantly higher prices they charged. I'm still glad that there's going to be some unusual papers out there like Silver Supreme and hope that the new product is even better.
    Matt Gorringe

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I said this a long time ago and I will say it again:

Ilford will be the last man standing.
    That's when I will cease to be a practising photographer. I don't
    deal with monopolies, and am not particularly impressed with
    ANY Ilford product.

My 2¢

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolleijoe View Post
    ANY Ilford product.

My 2¢
    If you practice long enough you will get good enough to appreciate Ilford products.
    My 2pennorth.
    Regards Paul.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    ANY Ilford product.

My 2¢
    Well, a skilled film photographer can take any well made film, and get outstanding images from it. You just have to learn its qualities. Same with papers.

Speaking of monopolies....for decades, Polaroid was the only game on the block for instant pictures, and taking Polaroid proofs is (in my opinion) mandatory if you work in the commercial photography field, as I do. Without Polaroid materials I would be sunk. Of course now Fuji offers some limited competetion, but I still use Polaroid.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul. View Post
    If you practice long enough you will get good enough to appreciate Ilford products.
    My 2pennorth.
    Regards Paul.
    Paul, have been doing this for over 30 years. Have used Ilford products
    on occasion when I had to. Ran my own b&w lab on Maui a few years ago.

Used Agfa paper and Agfa/Kodak chemistry. Ilford ONLY when brought in
    by 1 particular customer who insisted her enlargements be done on that
    paper.

Was the hardest to work with, and I was never satisfied (although she
    loved them).

These days it is only Fotokemika Varycon fiber paper. The closest to Agfa
    I've found, and every negative prints great on it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Used Agfa paper and Agfa/Kodak chemistry. Ilford ONLY when brought in
    by 1 particular customer who insisted her enlargements be done on that
    paper.

Was the hardest to work with, and I was never satisfied (although she
    loved them).

These days it is only Fotokemika Varycon fiber paper. The closest to Agfa
    I've found, and every negative prints great on it.
    Of course we all make choices, mine were Agfa paper & film for years, then Tmax, and later Polywarmtone, which is my preferred combination. But I still use Ilford papers when I need to they are just as easy to use and get on with as any other manufacturers papers. I started printing commercially over 35 years ago and most people I know only used Ilford papers. None ever had any problems.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whether you like Ilford products or not is irrelevant to the discussion, but their quality control is highly relevant. And that quality control is SUPERB!
    I think that Bergger has a lot to gain from this relationship, and I'm glad that they can stick around for a while longer.

- Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Well, I have just spoken to M Gerard:
    As I said, they will continue the production af all the products that were made in Forte plants. But they can't say if the new products will be exactly the same: indeed, chemicals that were allowed in Hungary are forbidden in England. These slight modifications could (but it is not sure at all) induce slight changes in emulsion behaviour, even formulas are the same.
    So, we have to wait (as far as I am concerned, I can't help waiting anymore...) and see. One thing is sure: new products will be bergger products and I am very happy
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I'm very happy too about this news. I think a good news as this, is a very good news.
    Best

Stefano
    Digital is Slow..........Analog is ROCK!!!!

Visit me at http://www.stefanogermi.com
    Visit My Portfolio in Apug

Shooter
    35mm
    It's interesting that on the UK site http://www.linhofstudio.com/ are listed two new Bergger films. These are BRF15 & BRF100 both in 120 only at £24 for 10 rolls. They also still list the 200 & 400 films. The 100 speed film is designed primarily for indoor photography it seems. Who has manufactured these new films I don't know.

On a much earlier point, Ilford used to have more than one plant. As well as transferring their plant from Essex up to Cheshire some years back, they also had the old Lumiere plant in Lyon, France. Certainly at one time some of the RC Multigrade papers were made there. I still have an elderly box of 12" x 10" dating from the 1980's clearly stating "Made in France". I think at one point there may have been a plant in Australia. Be that as it may, Ilford (or Harman Technology as they are today) clearly have the expertise for transferring production from one place to another.

Regarding the Adox CHM films, they seem to have been relabelled FP4+ & HP5+, made either by Ilford or by someone else cutting Ilford bulk materials before the Ilford management buy-out. The fact that the 120 films are in plastic canisters gives a clue, as Ilford's own 120 films have never been packaged in this way. So it is not surprising that this line is difficult to find as supplies run out and it would seem clear that when the remainder are sold there will be no more.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin