Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,440   Online: 817

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Bergger News

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images

Bergger News

Well,

I have just read a letter from Bergger to resellers: they have transferred their production line from Forte to ... Harman Technologies, that's to say Ilford. I think Simon will confirm this. But it 's very interesting. Simon, will they make their own products on your lines?
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ben ça alors! Ilford to be in competition with themselves... Hm, they've said some time ago that they stopped all sorts of rebranding. It's a different situation, though, but it proves I'll never understand the logic of silver gelatin economy...
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I said this a long time ago and I will say it again:

Ilford will be the last man standing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    Ben ça alors! Ilford to be in competition with themselves... Hm, they've said some time ago that they stopped all sorts of rebranding. It's a different situation, though, but it proves I'll never understand the logic of silver gelatin economy...
    It may not be rebranding, as Harmond will make Bergger products not Illford. It kind of like Toyota and GM sharing plants in California.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hi,

I think it's a logical step to go. They compete in emulsion technology not in production technology. Sharing the production plant (mainly coating I think) will reduce capital cost for both and makes them both more competitive. This works as long as the coating technology for both their emulsions is appropriate. Which may not always be the case. But there are several coating lines to chose from worldwide.

cheers

Ulrich

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Howell View Post
    It may not be rebranding, as Harmond will make Bergger products not Illford. It kind of like Toyota and GM sharing plants in California.
    Paul, I'm afraid that analogy may be true, but not in the manner you expect.

The NUMMI plant in CA makes the Pontiac Vibe and Toyota Matrix. The Vibe is 99% a Toyota Matrix with some minor differences in styling and trim. So this is, very definitely, rebranding.

Most, if not all, of Bergger's products were just re-badged Forte products as can be confirmed by reviewing a Forte product catalog from the mid-90s or earlier. A very small minority of those products were probably designed by Filmotec. Similarly, I expect the new Bergger products will simply be Ilford wares in drag - at Bergger's traditional markup.

I really do hope I am proven wrong in this, but I suspect that I will not be.

Only time will tell.
    Last edited by aldevo; 10-03-2007 at 12:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mhv View Post
    It's a different approach. Ilford used to produce private-label films and papers (such as Freestyle's "Arista Premium" line of a few years back) that were sold at lower cost than its own Ilford-labeled products. The idea was that Ilford would get the benefit of using its production capacity at higher utilization and the retailer would bear the costs of marketing the product.

If history is any indication, I cannot imagine anything carrying a Bergger label will sell for less than one branded Ilford.
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by david b View Post
    I said this a long time ago and I will say it again:

Ilford will be the last man standing.
    Right. Extremely bad move. Ilford is already too pricey, so what can Bergger add ?

Eh. Nothing. Bye Bergger.
    We cannot change how the cards are dealt, just how to play the hand...
    Randy Pausch

Shooter
    Large Format
    I, for one, wait to see and test before making a choice, but I was unable to make any difference from Bergger products and Forte ones. Except pricing.
    So I will wait and it will be difficult to make me switch from Ilford and Adox products to Bergger.
    And I'm French and liked a lot the old Guilleminot products from which Bergger product are said to come from.
    Of course, finding no difference between Bergger and Forte may be due to my poor knowledge of darkroom work ;-) As usual, YMMV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If in a way Bergger products are an "extension" of Ilford Harman's line of products, I don't mind. As long as there is a wide variety of quality B&W papers at reasonable price, the user wins, and probably the producer as well. It may end up as a kind of monopoly (or niche, depends how you read it), but as long as there is choice and no dirty play, it's fine.

Bergger sells at least one paper that is unique, their extra-premium 100% rag base, and well, there must be a market for that. Their VC papers are really nice as well, and have their own "flavour."
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Page 1 of 9 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin