Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,938   Posts: 1,557,320   Online: 998

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    More grain isn't necessarily desireble, is it? So I guess I really have to do a side by side comparison.
    On the occasions that I use Xtol (like in comparitive developer testing), I use it undiluted as a one-shot. When I want Xtol's attributes, I use Organic Instant Mytol - which - like Pyrocat-MC organic concentrate - has no shelf-life problems.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum223/...ant-mytol.html
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hoskinson View Post
    When I want Xtol's attributes,
    What are those atrributes ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What are those atrributes ?
    The organic concentrate is inexpensive, very stable and produces very predictable and repeatable results. The organic concentrate has a shelf life of years. You use the working developer once and then dump it.
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More grain isn't necessarily desireble, is it? So I guess I really have to do a side by side comparison.
    "Grain" is a relative concept. Compared to undiluted xtol, 1+1 is indeed grainier. But for Pete's sake, I have printed 11x14 out of 35mm Tri-X in XTOL, and you can't even begin to see the grain!

Some people call you all sorts of name when you don't reach for the no-grain-microfilm crap. Without some hint of grain, you will lack sharpness, anyway. If you don't like grain, go up to 120 with a 100 ISO film, and you'll never hear about grain ever, even using Rodinal straight from the bottle.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    The reason to use Xtol/D-76 for one shot vs replenishment is consistency and quality. If you store Xtol in optimal conditions in tightly capped 1L bottles it remains active for at least 8 months. Grain increases when you develop general developers at dilutions greater than 1:1 as the sulfite becomes diluted.

Pre-wetting film should not be neccessary with Ilford/Kodak emulsions. Plunging a reel in a cannister filled with developer is another old school recommendation. Typical developing times for (Tri-X/FP-4) are 10 min and modern film now contains hardening and wetting agents. Some processes from the 60s are out of date.
    Last edited by Richard Jepsen; 10-06-2007 at 06:56 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    RJ

Shooter
    35mm
    With 5 litre XTOL and 1:1 oneshot I could develop 20 rolls of medium format film. (10 lites of developer, ~500ml per film) XTOL can be stored 6 months before it gets bad. 20 films in half a year that's not much. Are these numbers correct?
    I'm shooting 35mm, so I'm expecting to get about 40 rolls out of 5l stock. I'm not sure I average more than 1 roll a week. I'd agree, med format might change my thinking on this.

I've got no experence to confirm this but I'd be concerned about storing 5L used XTOL for six months. I'd be concerned about the used stock excelerating oxidation, even in a full, tightly stoppered bottle. I'd be more comfortable deviding the stock into 1 or 2L bottles then using each until end of capacity and discarding, then opening the next bottle. As I said I have no experence with this, just my concern.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I shoot approx. 15 rolls/week both 120 and 35mm. I use/reuse Xtol stock solution all the time and this is how: Mix Xtol with a magnetic mixer (love the mixer!). Store fresh stock solution in two 2.5ltr brown bottles. I have one extra bottle that contains reused/replenished mixture. I load the tank in the dark, mix per roll 230ml replenished Xtol stock and 70ml fresh Xtol stock and pour in to develop rolls. Once developing is complete I pour the used Xtol back into the replenished bottle (discarding 70ml leftover because it won't fit). This way you never have to discard your entire stock, just keep replenishing it little by little. Nice negs and less wastage. I've happily used the same system now for around 2-3 years or so.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Bonk, it sounds like you're using Paterson reels... one way of making more efficient use of the 500ml of developer needed per reel is to put 2 rolls of 120 on a reel. Load the first film and then push it by hand until you feel it hit the end of the spiral. Then load the second one and make sure the tail end doesn't go too far past the ball bearings. Any overlap, which won't be much, will be on the clear leader of the film. I've done hundreds of rolls this way.

Jim

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicole View Post
    I use/reuse Xtol stock solution all the time...
    I work very similarly, processing 8x10 sheet film.

I start with 5L. One liter becomes my working solution, the other 4 are set aside (in brown glass) for replenishment. I replenish by taking 80 ml per sheet out and adding the same quantity of fresh solution. At the end of a session (usually about 12 sheets), I pour the working solution back into the bottle and top it off to 1 L with fresh solution.

Once the fresh 4 L I've held back are gone, I start out with a fresh 5 L mix.

I get about 50 sheets out of a 5 L package.

Ed

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin