Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,919   Posts: 1,556,434   Online: 1194

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

XTOL processing instruction

I just read the kodak processing instructions for the XTOL developer and that leaves me with two questions:

1.) The docs state the following:

To process the maximum number of rools of film per litre of full-strength XTOL developer, use time compensation according to the table below. Discard the developer after you processed 15 rolls per litre.

6-10 Number of Rolls (per litre) : 15% time increase
    11-15 Number of Rolls (per litre) : 15% time increase
    Now I have mixed one canister with 5 litres of XTOL. After I developed a single film I will put the used developer from the tank back into the canister. With this procedure am I assuming correctly that I will have to discard the developer after 75 rolls of film and increase development time by 15% after 25?

2.) Furthermore the docs say that the tank should be first filled with the developer and then, in complete darkness, the reel should be loaded into the tank. (No pre-rinse is mentioned). Is this really the desired process? I always thought one loads the tank with the reel closes it an then pour the developer into the tank (optinally pre rinse it).

Shooter
    35mm
    I only use XTOL 1:1, one shot, but I went back and read the Kodak XTOL Tech doc, and I think your interpretation in part one of your question is correct. But considering my usage of XTOL, that 5 liters would probably oxidize and go bad before i got a full 75 rolls through it.

As to part 2 of your question, yep, Kodak says put the developer in first, film in second, then close the tank. That seems to be Kodak's standard official method for small tank developing. They've printed the exact same process in the D-76 and MICRODOL-X Tech pubs.

But I'd guess that most users are not doing this and are using the more traditional method of placing the film in the tank, closing the lid, then pouring the developer through the light trap. And I don't think those of us who do that are encountering any problems.

Jerry Leeper
    Last edited by jleeper; 10-05-2007 at 03:34 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Personally for the cost of Xtol I don't reuse it for rollfilm. Especially when diluting 1:1 or 1:2. I could imagine doing it if not diluting if it was so hard to get, but then why not use something else more readily available? The only time I reused Xtol was when it was in deep tanks of 2000ml quantities for 4x5 film in which case I kept track of total sheets or square inches developed.

I often fill a tank and insert the reel after loading. It gets the film covered at once if the tank fills slowly, but there are plenty of people whom I believe have no problems developing in daylight and filling after loading.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    What is the advantage of XTOL 1:1, one shot ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Bonk,

Let me get on the "one-shot" band wagon here. Keeping track of the rolls and carefully adjusting the development time is just too difficult and adds another source for error. As I was advised years ago when I asked the same question: "Developer is cheap, film is expensive.".

As for the tank filling sequence, I have poured Xtol into pre-loaded tanks for years without problem.

One last note: If you add a pre-soak before development you may have to add a bit to the developing time. How much? I don't know.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    before I add the developer would I pre-wet it by pouring usual tap water in?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    "What is the advantage of XTOL 1:1, one shot ?"

According to the Xtol data sheet: "You can dilute XTOL Developer 1:1 with water developer:water) for one-shot (single-use) processing. Dilution at 1:1 will provide slightly greater film speed, enhanced sharpness and shadow detail, and slightly more
    grain."

My experience is that the above description is generally true, but the differences are subtle enough that you need to do side by side comparisons to really appreciate them.

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    What is the advantage of XTOL 1:1, one shot ?
    In my opinion, first is ease of use. Second for me would be consistency. I know I'm not going to goof and forget when to adjust development times. And by placing my XTOL in small, tightly capped 250 ML bottles, I'm slowing down oxidation and increasing the storage time. I don't think I'd get thru 75 rolls before a 5L bottle of XTOL went bad.

I also mix my XTOL double strength, making 2.5L of stock out of the 5L package. This is much easier to store. I recycle green glass Pellegrino bottles, and end up with 10 250ML bottles. From those I use 2oz XTOL with 6oz water to get 8oz for my tank. This gets me back to the correct dilution.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    More grain isn't necessarily desireble, is it? So I guess I really have to do a side by side comparison.

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jleeper View Post
    I don't think I'd get thru 75 rolls before a 5L bottle of XTOL went bad.
    With 5 litre XTOL and 1:1 oneshot I could develop 20 rolls of medium format film. (10 lites of developer, ~500ml per film) XTOL can be stored 6 months before it gets bad. 20 films in half a year that's not much. Are these numbers correct?
    Last edited by bonk; 10-05-2007 at 04:52 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin