Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,294   Posts: 1,535,511   Online: 1016

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    "Black and White Photography" by Henry Horenstein is the book you want. You can find it used at a college bookstore, too.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    I repeat: APUG is a wonderful resource. So is a good book. And they are not the same.
    I agree. To me, APUG is a casual place with various degrees of test results with different opinions and tastes, which seems to serve for that purpose however dilutes the notion of being instructive. It's like learning how to drive a car from your uncle in a parking lot as opposed to from the instructor at a driving school. Either way you learn, but with both, perhaps you can learn more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There are a number of very good books on b&w darkroom work. Unfortunately, many are no longer in print.

I'm not familiar with the book you linked to but... of the books on my shelves, I would recommend: The Photographer's Master Printing Book by Tim Rudman, Elements by Barry Thornton and Larry Bartlett's Black & White Photographic Printing Workshop. I have a number of others but these I think are the most general: some of the others are more specialized in content.

Additionally, with a lot of printing information and suggestions, as well as exposure and developing guidance, is Les McLean's Creative Black and White Photography and for a more technical work, possibly not for the beginner, is Way Beyond Monochrome by Lambrecht and Woodhouse. These two I know are in print.

Good reading! Bob.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by firecracker View Post
    I agree. To me, APUG is a casual place with various degrees of test results with different opinions and tastes, which seems to serve for that purpose however dilutes the notion of being instructive. It's like learning how to drive a car from your uncle in a parking lot as opposed to from the instructor at a driving school. Either way you learn, but with both, perhaps you can learn more.
    A perfect analogy!

Cheers,

R.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    I like APUG as evidenced by my subscription but you'd be hard pressed to gather the same amount of info and launch straight into darkroom work without some decent reading material or better still if you can get it, a college nightschool course or failing that a club that still practices darkroom work or has members who do.

Bob F has mentioned some useful books. Roger Hicks has written one or two useful ones as well.

Best of luck

pentaxuser

pentaxuser

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Troy View Post
    "Black and White Photography" by Henry Horenstein is the book you want. You can find it used at a college bookstore, too.
    I am putting together my own darkroom for the first time and I got this book from amazon.com used for a very good price (five dollars and change including shipping). I am pleased with it.

I think getting a book or two is a great idea. As far as relying on APUG - I have spent alot of time the last few weeks reading up on tons of stuff, but the books I have gave me a better frame of reference. I don't really think that apug would have been as helpful to me thus far without having read up first. I have a better idea of what I don't know or understand completely.

Good luck!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I'm currently in the process of building my dedicated darkroom, (enclosed my carport). Researched colleagues darkrooms, but found the best source for information to be - APUG. For those who have answered my questions......thanks plenty....you've been the a wonderful asset. There must be plenty of photographers out there with wet darkrooms, 574 hits on my question on "light tight entry door" and 525 hits on "plywood sink sprayed with Line-X". Ready to insulate with hopes of printing my first image end of this year. Fortunately I own a cabinet shop, soooo I've built plenty of cabinets with drawers and will be tackling my plywood sink next weekend. Been loving the whole process. Promise to take pictures when complete and post them on APUG. Sure to miss the smell of my trays.
    Trudee

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bonk View Post
    Is this book called "The darkroom book" a good book? Would you say that is the standard/definitive book on learning how to work in the darkroom? Any other/better suggestion of a good reference book on that topic. With "useful tips and tricks of the pros"?

Meiner Meinung nach, bessere Dunkelkammerbücher sind zu finden.

John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin