Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,626   Online: 721

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    Images

is "The darkroom book" any good ?

Is this book called "The darkroom book" a good book? Would you say that is the standard/definitive book on learning how to work in the darkroom? Any other/better suggestion of a good reference book on that topic. With "useful tips and tricks of the pros"?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Don't waste your time and money. You will get all the free info you need right here on APUG. Just use the search function and/or ask questions.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check out ilford's website , they have a series of pdf files that cover the basics which should keep you busy and then ask questions, or if possible take a darkroom class with someone who knows what they are doing.

Another option is to find someone to be a mentor.

Books can be helpful, but hands on is much better. NOthing wrong with reference books, but that is what they are, a reference.
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Rose View Post
    Don't waste your time and money. You will get all the free info you need right here on APUG. Just use the search function and/or ask questions.
    Sure. Unless you want to look at it when you aren't at your computer. Or want to check something that ISN'T archived. Or want to read something by someone who has some idea of what they are talking about, without wading through 200 pages of breast-beating and I AM ALWAYS RIGHT.

APUG is a wonderful resource, but anyone who thinks it replaces books must not have read much -- or, in your case, Eric, must have been writing in the heat of the moment, despite a good grounding from the printed word.

Remember, the big risk with free information is that very often, you get what you pay for. And yes, I know what it says at the bottom of my post.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There was a recent thread on darkroom books at the link below. We are indeed fortunate to have several celebrated writers on APUG, including Les McLean, Tim Rudman and Roger Hicks, all of whom have produced excellent books which would help you. I regret I'm not familiar with the specific book you are asking about.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum56/4...oom-books.html

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    APUG is a wonderful resource, ...
    Where else for information on single-tray one-shot print
    processing? Where else for information on using highly dilute
    developers and fixers without resorting to stuffing some rotary
    tank to do so?

What of flat and dry prints in one move using a corrugated
    stack dryer? Or of the hugh savings in water and time afforded
    by use of alternate two tray washing with hydrophobic separators?

I doubt "The Darkroom Book", any darkroom book, has even
    a word to say of the above methods and techniques as labor
    saving and little room consuming as they are. Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I bought it before I built my current darkroom. It really is about the best book on the subject I found. If you already know what you want and feel comfortable with basic plumbing and wiring, it probably won't help you a lot. For me, it did give me a bit more confidence that I was going the right direction. My feeling was that even if I only got one hint from it, it was worth it. Given the money and time to put together a darkroom, it is probably worth it.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by dancqu View Post
    I doubt "The Darkroom Book", any darkroom book, has even a word to say of the above methods and techniques as labor
    saving and little room consuming as they are. Dan
    Probably true: I don't know the book. But how much has APUG to offer in terms of a coherent, start-to-finish summary?

I repeat: APUG is a wonderful resource. So is a good book. And they are not the same.
    Free Photography Information on My Website
    http://www.rogerandfrances.com

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Hicks View Post
    [...] But how much has APUG to offer in terms of a coherent, start-to-finish summary?

I repeat: APUG is a wonderful resource. So is a good book. And they are not the same.
    I tend to agree with Roger here: as a newbie and with no available courses known to me in the nearby, and without a friend/mentor to show me the things "hands on", I have found that reading good books (Adams, Rudman, McLean, etc..) has been a tremendous help when you don't know where to start from. For everything else, there's APUG.

Just my 2 cents.

Shooter
    35mm
    The "basic" darkroom photo books I have are:

"Build Your Own Home Darkroom" by Lisa Duren & Will MacDonald
    "The Darkroom Cookbook" by Stephen G. Anchell
    "Black and White Photography", "Color Photography" by Henry Horenstein

In my opinion, they are pretty basic, minimum, and very useful as a quick reference; each book has a different content for a different purpose. And for everything else, I actually try and do some experiments and take some notes. That's about it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin