Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,206   Online: 960

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Ilford Satin finish - Simon?

I've got a box of 5x7 Ilford MG RC in satin finish. I must say I really like it. Perhaps more than pearl or glossy. Just curious what others think of it...

Also, and this might be a question for Simon, how come the double weight RC (portfolio?) isn't available in satin? Or postcards, which I think is technically in the double weight line?

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I much prefer satin over pearl or glossy finishes.

Unfortunately it seems we are in a minority. Simon has said recently in another thread that sales of satin aren't high enough to justify producing the same range of papers that the other finishes are available in.

Pity, because I would love warmtone paper in satin.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really like the satin finish – it is the only RC paper that does not have that rather plastic look. (RC matt was another favourite for the right image, long gone alas).

I have only just finished the last of my Multi 111 FB gloss, so have been using this RC satin a lot recently.
    Must get a gip with the Multi IV FB……

David.

Here in Oman I do not get much if any choice, so bring all my supplies back from UK. Hence the delay in moving from FBIII to FBIV.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I prefer the pearl. It seems to me to be the closest match to the gloss FB that I mostly use, and the folks I generally give the RC prints to seem to prefer it as well. Perhaps I'll give satin another look though, just for curiosity's sake.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I like the satin because the texture on it is uniform. Pearl seems to be more 'lumpy.'

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I like Satin as well, but the current availability will not be extended to any other products, its a volume related item, every base you use means more
    stock, raw material and finished goods, more SKU's.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hear's another vote for satin finish, also I find it tones a lot easier in selenium than either the gloss or the pearl.
    Am currently useing 2 boxes of satin, 1 10x8 and the other 16x12, the 10x8 has a lot whiter base than the 16x12 which is quite cream in comparison, both boxes baught from the same outlet ( retro photographic) at the same time via mail order. I wonder if Simon can say wether or not this colour change is a designed thing or just one of those things and why does the satin finish tone so more readily than the others ?

I dont mind if you cannot extend the range, just please don't stop makeing it, though I have to say the lack of demand may well be partly due to the lack of suppliers listing it. If you know where to go it is readily available if you dont know who stocks it all you get offerd is gloss or pearl.
    In my view satin is the best finish Ilford make, I love it and use it for almost every subject especialy portrature.

Regards Paul.

Shooter
    35mm
    Well, we're growing in number but we're not a viable market yet. It's clear that Satin is very much a niche market. I too think that Portfolio in Satin gets you very close to FB in look and feel but the economics don't add up.

I once got Satin from MORCO in the U.K. at a very reasonable price several years ago and when I asked why it had suddenly appeared at the advertised price they said that they had picked up a large lot from Ilford and we're keen to sell for what I assumed to be a very small profit. That says a lot about the demand.

pentaxuser

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Satin is hard to find at times. I was told I am the only buyer at a store here in Calgary.

Is it really true different sizes use different paper colour? For what it is worth, I have found the 8x10 and 11x14 are the same. I cannot seem to find 16x20 here in Calgary.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

We have no plans to delist SATIN, but like I say demand is very low compared to Gloss and Satin.

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin