Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,290   Posts: 1,535,396   Online: 779

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Processing errors with 4x5 BW negs

I have considerably less hair on my head since Rodinal became extinct!
    With rodinal, I never had any problems with my technique in processing my 4x5 bw negs. Now, after advise and coaching from all over, I still get processing flaws.
    I'm using ID-11 / D76 and can't stand the fact that I have no control over its temperature.
    Am I the only one in the world who doesn't get on with D76?
    Are there any masters of 4x5 bw neg processing out there?
    How do you guys do it?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I'm using ID-11 / D76 and can't stand the fact that I have no control over its temperature.
    What do you mean?

D-76 is basically a standard. I use D-23 but that's me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I have considerably less hair on my head since Rodinal

Am I the only one in the world who doesn't get on with D76?

How do you guys do it?
    Rodinal's readily available, it never disappeared stocks just got extremely low. I used it for 5x4 for about 15 years with Tmax100 and APX100.

There are plenty of alternatives to D76, I much prefer X-tol which I use on a replenishment basis. But I've switched to Pyrocat HD recently and its superb.

So that's how I do it . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    rodinal,extinct???? freestyle photograpic.biz.agfa rodinal 17oz 11.99 4oz 7.99
    i have been thinking of using rodinal as a developer so i was suprised to see your post and went to freestyle to check my facts and yep it is still there.after i posted this i saw your location and i see why it may not be avaiable.it can only be shipped by ground in the states

Shooter
    35mm
    Rodinal isn't extinct. It's still being producted by A&O Imaging Solutions and is probably distributed in the U.S. as well as any non-Kodak or non-Ilford film developer. Of course availabilty in outside of the US is something I don't know about.

There are also older Rodinal formulas available from Calbe and Foma, marketed as 'R09'.

I never "got on" with D-76 either, though many will use nothing else. I imagine I'm more to blame than the developer. Rodinal is good stuff, but you may have to hunt around a bit to find it these days. It is available online at some of the major supply distributors. I know my local "pro" store doesn't stock it anymore.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Rodinal is alive and well. As are the various R09 versions. And you can easily make your own Rodinal-like developer, Parodinal et. al.

And I'm not sure what the problem is you are having with temperature control. Are you saying you can't physically control the temperature of the developer? Or are you not seeing the effect expected by an increase or decrease in temperature?

D76 and its cousins are just about as simple to use as Rodinal and very forgiving. But it is important that if you are mixing up D76 from the yellow pouch (or a clone from it's own pouch) that you mix up the entire contents. Don't try to spoon out just enough powder. Mix all the stock and bottle it. Then dilute from stock.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things! http://rwyoung.wordpress.com

tac

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Midsouth carries Agfa in SA; maybe you can convince them to get some Rodinal?

http://www.midsouth.co.za/products.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Rodinal is in abundance in australia or so it seems, if you have any problems getting it let me know and i'll arrange to have some shipped over to you.

~steve Frizza
    The Lighthouse Lab

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have never used Rodinal. Am I missing out on something?

I am currently a D-76 user. I mix it according to the instructions and develop my 4x5's in a Unicolor 8x10 drum on a drum roller. Usually I pay little attention to the specific temperature, relying on instinct. I use this developer over and over until I feel it's exhausted and still I get what I consider printable negatives. I think it is a good general purpose developer. No complaints from my department. If maintaining exact temperature is a problem, maybe an electric aquairum heater would work.
    "Lo único de lo que el mundo no se cansará nunca es de exageración." Salvador Dalí

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin