Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,608   Online: 1267

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

I was waiting for the official press release to be issued, but obviously UK dealers have tried to order and been told.

It is being discontinued, sales are not strong enough to justify remanufacture,
    especially sad as its one of 'my' products.

Simon ILFORD photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Well that entirely sucks. I loved its effects on Oriental warm tone.

Ilford should release its formula to Photo Formulary at the least, or give it to the public domain since they've decided thay can't make money on it. Good thing I never tried the Ilford Warmtone; I might have like that too, only to see it discontinued in the near future.

I'll stick to Agfa's Neutrol and Neutrol WA for my store-bought paper developers. What's next to go? Ilford selenium toner? Perhaps I shouldn't buy any of that either for fear it'll vanish from the market.

K.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kobin, over the years Ilford have release a lot of formulae, just try looking in copies of "The Ilford Manual of Photography" a 1960's copy preferably.

So there are plenty of Ilford published developer in the Public domain, and I can assure you that there's at least one which would give me similar results to Cooltone.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear K,

Whilst I understand your point for sure, Warmtone and Selenium sales are very strong, I will discuss the formulation request with our management.

And on a point of principle we have brought back every product that was discontinued during the previous companies receivership ( with the exception of ILFOFIX Powder ) and indeed launched new products and increased availabilty of such things as large format film, so whilst I understand and accept your point, and I am sorry COOLTONE has not been a success I think we genuinely have a good record.

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Regards

Simon ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Try Ansco 130, replace the Bromide with 15cc 1% Benzotriazole solution. Wonderful on warmtone...EC

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Quote Originally Posted by gminerich View Post
    Freestyle has their own brand cold tone developer and they sell Edwal Ultra Black.
    I have used this developer and have been quite happy with its performance...very good for producing a Seagull-like look. I seem to also remember a quote from Henry Gilpin in one of Freestyle's old catalogs about how impressed he was with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'll second Edwal Ultra Black as a very good alternative to the Harman Cooltone developer. It's widely available. I used it exclusively for a while, but found a bit better economy in the Ansco 130, which is another viable option. My reason to change to Ansco 130 is that I like to print on Fotokemika Varycon, and that combination at 1+3 dilution (at about 75*F) is a match made in heaven.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Great pity. It's one of my favourites too...
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Isn't Bromophen almost the same as PQ Universal with a little benzotriazole added? I know it's sold as a dry powder, and that PQ Universal is a liquid concentrate. I don't see that as a disadvantage, but rather as a way to save a few bucks.

Shooter
    35mm
    I still haven't quite got through my Cooltone courtesy of the Ilford visit of 2006! It's longevity and economy is amazing. Maybe its sales suffered from Cooltone seeming to be only very subtly different from other "normal" developers especially with MG IV. Even with Cooltone paper the difference appeared subtle until you compared it to MGIV and normal developer when side by side there was clearly a substantial difference and for certain subjects or anyone with a penchant for a cool print Cooltone developer was a real asset and out on its own. Great for "machinery" type shots such as classic motorcycles

Take away Cooltone dev and I suspect that a lot of the raison d'etre for using Cooltone paper disappears as well which may herald the loss of that paper as well.

A real pity but like the problem with Satin paper not being available in Portfolio or for the Ilford paper offer for students, it's sales that dictate viability as it must.

pentaxuser

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin