Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,205   Posts: 1,531,676   Online: 1146

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Cooltone developer replacent required!

Hi
    I believe the Ilford/Harman Cooltone developer has been discontinued which is a bit annoying. A shame as it had quickly become of of my favourite solutions, especially with Ilford and Forte warm tone papers. Anyone recommend a similar working developer available in the UK to use instead or should I get the old recipe books out?
    Many thanks
    Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Try Ilford's PQ Universal, add a bit of Benzotriazole if it's to warm for you.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There is no indication of it being discontinued on Ilford's website. It is still listed at Adorama and Freestyle as well as Silverprint in the UK. Perhaps you are getting bad info from a retailer?

http://www.silverprint.co.uk/

Bob
    "I always take a camera, That way I never have to say 'Gee, look at that - I wish I had a camera'" -Joe Clark, H.B.S.S.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    All the suppliers I use carry it and say that it is a popular seller. I doubt that ilford is discontinuing it. Perhaps you should e-mail or call them to get the real facts.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    With the simple amount of misinformation thrown around in the industry at times (Camera store employees are notorious for this - One insisted to me recently Ilford was very much dead all together), APUG really is a life saver.
    I'd heard nothing about it, and my usual haunts in Australia have it in stock. I haven't gotten a chance to even try it properly yet, so it would be a shame.
    The Analogue Laboratory, or 'so you built a darkroom in an old factory in the industrial zone'.
    Blog thing!.

Worry less. Photograph more.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Freestyle has their own brand cold tone developer and they sell Edwal Ultra Black.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Crawford View Post
    Hi
    I believe the Ilford/Harman Cooltone developer has been discontinued which is a bit annoying. A shame as it had quickly become of of my favourite solutions, especially with Ilford and Forte warm tone papers. Anyone recommend a similar working developer available in the UK to use instead or should I get the old recipe books out?
    Many thanks
    Mike
    I like Ilford Cooltone developer too. Try Morco. http://www.morco.uk.com/latest/ilfordchemicals.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For cool blue/black tones, I use Ilford's PQ Universal with a small amount of Benzotriazole added. This has been my standard paper developer since the early 1970s
    Tom Hoskinson

Everything is analog - even digital :D

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Mike I'm sorry to say that Cooltone Developer is gone. I always have it sent to the college when I do the Ilford Masterclass but the girls in the office told me just last Friday that it is discontinued. Sad day as I had grown to really like Cooltone.
    "Digital circuits are made from analogue parts"
    Fourtune Cookie-Brooklyn May 2006

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Many apologies if I have given the impression of spreading, or even worse, starting rumours. Certainly not my intention. I asked the question of an alternative for Cooltone as I was told by Ilford this morning that it had been discontinued. I along with some esteemed colleagues, (Hi Les) hold workshops sponsored by Ilford at UK colleges to keep the darkroom alive in further education. Showing the different tones possible just by development has always been very useful.

While getting my order of supplies ready for some workshops next week, I was told about the developer. I then checked with my two suppliers in London who confirmed the news. Only then did I think of starting a thread on APUG believing it was common knowledge and I was the last to hear. Thanks Tom and Ian for the advice. Other people have also suggested adding a dash of Benzotriazole so I will do some tests. I’ve tried Tetnal and Moersch in the past, and they are not bad developers, but not cool enough compared to Ilford, and also rather expensive.

Cheers
    Mike

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin