Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,561   Posts: 1,545,272   Online: 831

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Neutol WA and RC-papers

Hi

Some RC papers are easy to tone (for example, kentmere fine lustre) and some does not change tone at all, at least in seleno-sulphid. Such are for eg. Ilford pearl.

But how is Neutol WA. Which papers responds well it's warm tone and which does not?
    I am looking pearl or glossy surface papers.

Thanks.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Tere Jukka. I've used Neutol (neutral) with Ilford FB Multigrade warmtone papers (a nice selection is available at Fotoyks on Fredrikinkatu, HKI) and they tone very nicely in selenium. Got to watch the selenium concentration, though. Too strong or warm and a note of plum/aubergine comes in which a lot of people don't like. I think 1:50 should be safe to stay in the deep-brown/black range. For Ilford's RC pearl or glossy papers... I don't know. I suspect they won't tone as strongly as the warmtone fibre.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jukka, you need to check out the websites for each paper manufacturer, or look in a catalogue (online) from a good supplier like Fotoimpex, Silverprint etc.

Essentilally Bromide papers are neutral in tone, and Bromo-chloride and Chloro-bromide warmtone. Bromide papers don't really change tone if you use warmtone developer, or selenium toning, while warmtone papers respond well to different developers to produce a far wider rane of tones.

You could look at Ilfords Wam tone papers, Adox (Forte) Polywarmtone, Kentmere's Warmtone, Foma etc. THese are nearly all avaialble in RC or Fibre base.

Try getting hold of B&W Magazine (UK) there are plenty of articles about B&W printing, toning etc using a wide range of papers.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Svend, Ilford make a Warm tone RC paper. It will work well in Neutol WA.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Svend, Ilford make a Warm tone RC paper.
    It tones very well in selenium. If you leave it in too long you'll get the typical plum/aubergine colours.

Mike

Shooter
    Large Format
    Not to change the subject, but is Neutol WA still available?
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jgjbowen View Post
    Not to change the subject, but is Neutol WA still available?
    Yes, it's made by A&O who took over the Agfa chemistry manufacture. Try Freestyle, in the UK Silverprint stock it.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MGIV-WT RC and Forte Polywarmtone RC (there still seems to be quite a lot of it around) both work very well in Neutol WA. I fully expect Kentmere Warm will too as the fibre version certainly does but I've not tried the Kentmere RC version.

I find that sepia toning RC tends to result in a lighter print than when using the fibre versions but pulling early from the bleach can resolve that problem if it occurs.

Enjoy! Bob.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks

I'll do some tests with warmtone papers.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Yes, it's made by A&O who took over the Agfa chemistry manufacture. Try Freestyle, in the UK Silverprint stock it.

Ian
    Thanks Ian.
    John Bowen

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin