Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,557   Posts: 1,545,202   Online: 985

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have been in India for the past two weeks and I struck up a conversation with someone on a train (who I had noticed was using a Nikon FM3a) who said he believed there was an Indian film manufacturer - but I cant remember the name he gave. Apparrently they only make B&W.

It certainly would not suprise me if there was an Indian manufacturer, as there is a massive market just in India.

At the Taj Mahal (and other tourist destinations) there are many photographers offering to photograph tourists, all using film cameras (at least I didn't see any digital)

Matt

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Looking at this topic I once stumbled over an Indian company who I thought was manufacturing camera film, but it turned out that they were importing Fuji films to India; I found no hints that they were (still) coating.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ferrania

Quote Originally Posted by aldevo View Post
    Ferrania (mentioned above) is in sort of a strange situation. They stopped making 126 early this year and they've been in and out of bankruptcy at least once since they were sold by 3M around 1999 or 2000.

Ferrania has a BIG contract to supply most of the photo film sold at NATO facilities that's scheduled to run out in a couple of years. They are also a very large producer of X-ray film and inkjet cartridges (including the specialized ones used in high-speed plotters). I think they recently started marketing somebody else's digital cameras under the "Solaris" label, too.

At one time they were finishing and packaging film in Oklahoma, but I think this facility is now closed.
    Interesting, thanks.

I believe Ferrania is the last one still manufacturing 110 film. There's still some Fuji, Kodak and Konica stock out there, but Ferrania is the only one still producing 110 film. At least, that's what I thought. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I can imagine that there's not a big market for 110 film (and that's putting it mildly...)

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear All,

There used to be a coater in India called HINDUSTAN Photo Film ( HPF ) but my understanding is that they no longer coat.

Simon. ILFORD Photo / HARMAN technology Limited :

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    OTOH, high speed curtain coating and color technology are being lost. Kodak and Agfa engineers, to name a few, hardly find easy jobs doing this type of work. Most of the work calls for B&W, slower speed coatings.

Many are going into color digital.

So, there is quite a bit of technology that is simply vanishing.

PE
    Dear Ron,

concerning the Agfa engineers and technology the situation is a little bit better indeed. Some of the former Agfa engineers of AgfaPhoto Leverkusen have founded their own technology based company called Inoviscoat. That are the "photo engineering wizards" who make all the scientific and technical work for Adox/Fotoimpex in the MCC/MCP/APX resurrection Project. They also know the Agfa colour technology and transfered some knowledge in colour stabilization technology to stabilize and improve the new Adox MCC.
    Furthermore they have recently bought the core element of Agfa's great L6 film coating machine (high speed curtain coating).
    So they have not only the knowledge, but also the hardware for some nice things in the future.... .

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Jana;

I am aware of that. I was not going to be the first to disclose that here. However, if color products are not made, the technology will be lost.

And, on another line of thought, where are the chemists who will make the couplers and addenda. These are not off-the-shelf items.

PE

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Photo Engineer View Post
    Jana;

I am aware of that. I was not going to be the first to disclose that here. However, if color products are not made, the technology will be lost.

And, on another line of thought, where are the chemists who will make the couplers and addenda. These are not off-the-shelf items.

PE
    Perhaps Agfa-Gevaert will be more active in the future concerning colour film. There are some small hints yet, like the Rollei Digibase 200 CN film. AG still has colour aerial film in their programme. Only future will tell....

Only one year ago nobody could imagine a resurrection of the Agfa BW materials...

Best regards,
    Jana

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    There used to be a company in India called Sterling. I think they only made B&W papers I dont know about film.
    They sold the land to a software company.

Best,
    -ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by imazursky View Post
    There used to be a company in India called Sterling. I think they only made B&W papers I dont know about film.
    They sold the land to a software company.

Best,
    -ian
    The plant burned down, they decided not to rebuild, but rather sold the land.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Wow! I didnt know that.
    To bad. I liked there contact paper.

Thanks
    -ian

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin