Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,691   Posts: 1,548,928   Online: 800

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

Anybody still fooling around with X-ray film?

I got all fired up about it, but have since lost a little big of interest, the X-ray film I got from CSX online is very prone to scratching, which can occur when one is cutting it down to size, or sliding it in and out of film holders. I process on hangars in deep tank, so no chance of scratching there. Just wondering if there were any of you still experimenting with X-ray for pictorial photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I was given some whole plate-ish and it awaits inspriation in the fridge!

Shooter
    Pinhole
    Good point - double emulsion probably scratches on the back more easily than single emulsion.
    Murray

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    It is on my list of things to do...and since I am running out of traditional film, I might be playing with it sooner than later.

But it is not like I don't have a backlog of negatives to print!

vaughn

Shooter
    Large Format
    I ordered some a few weeks ago but am moving so I have lost my darkroom for the next few months.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Since it has to be tray processed to avoid lines on the rear of the film, I'm trying to organize a dark enough place to do that. My test shots looked fine, but had lines in the back from the ribs in the developing tubes, and I plan on using it seriously once I resolve my truly 'dark room' situation - hopefully in a few days.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I occasionally pull a quarter-sheet or so out of the fridge and give it a try. I'm going to second what PHOTOTONE said, though; its incredibly prone to scratching.

It tends to acquire small scratches when dry; when wet, the light touch of a fingernail is almost enough to scratch the emulsion clear off the base.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I still use mine on a regular basis, when I can get out. As far as the ribbs showing up on the back side of the film when processing. I have discovered that if I rock the tray at all I get the ribbs, but if I just flopp the film like I normally do they don't show up. I think it must have to do with the little bit of friction/heat it must produce.
    Leslie D. Wall
    AKA DeBone75

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Weird; I've never heard of this before. I take it X-ray film is sensitive to visible (or near-visible) light?
    The universe is a haunted house. -Coil

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I finished the sample pack of film I got from CSX and I am preparing to order a full box. I think I have gotten around the scratching problem I had by putting felt on the key places on my cutter that were affecting the film the most. I have not had any problems with scratching during processing in my Jobo tank. Unfortunately, I have spent my photography "allowance" this month already so I will probably not order any until next month. Besides, I am trying to finish up a project and I know if I get the x-ray film I will spend more time fooling with it and not working on my other project, which is time constrained.
    Last edited by wclavey; 10-12-2007 at 06:40 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Bad spelling

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin