Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 74,136   Posts: 1,637,404   Online: 891

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Unopened FX-50 - still expired?

A year and a half ago I bought a box of Paterson FX-50 film developer (the environment friendly one - remember).

Two days back I decided to try it on a few rolls of T-max 100 from a nigh shoot.

The negatives came out very thin but still with some detail distinguishible.

When I developed another roll using my regular developer (HC-110) it turned out to have much more detail.

The question is: Is it common that developers in unopened boxes "go bad" like this one obviously has? Are certain types more likely than others (what about Xtol?) to perish.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    FX50 was notorius for going off . I've tried Xtol too - that went off quickly! Rodinal is fine :-)

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Paterson devs do have a reputation as being short lived.

When the darkroom chems were temporarily discontinued a while back I bought in quite a lot of Aculux 2 (my dev of choice (and quite superb!)). Each bottle has a "use by" label which was good for about 18 months. We're now getting fairly close to that, but I processed a load of film a few weeks ago and it turned out fine.

Probably worth trying a low-value test roll first on bottles of dev bought a while ago (well, that's what I'll be doing from now on!).
    The destination is important, but so is the journey

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin