Problems with negativ development
I developped 6 Acros 100 as follows in Jobo Tank : (all chemicals were fresh)
I put 2-120 films on 1 spiral (Jobo)
temperature 20 grad Celsius
rotation with Heiland TAS prozessor
1. pre-wetting 3 min in Distilled water
2. Development in XTOL 1+1 for 12:30 min (prepared with distilled water)
3. Stopper 30 sec
4. Fixer 5 min
5. Washing 15 min
6. Tetenal Mirasol 1 min (2 ml for 1 l of water)
7. hanged + dried films with paper tissue
8. wait until completely dry
The films have the following problem with spots/streaks as you can notice
on the attached pictures. Air bubbles ?
The day after I processed 3x135 Acros films using the same procedure and I have no problem with the negs.
Any feedback is welcome ?
It looks like contamination, it doesn't look like air bubble but I don't know where from,
Maybe fixer crystals from the tank top/lid
Could you have some contamination from the camera?
That is a very unusual pattern. Notice that the bulk of the streaks travel in one direction, from top to bottom, but they have small horizontal extensions. Also note that they are lighter (less development) than the background.
I have seen this when the film is not prewet, but is splashed with liquid which runs down the film and then the film is set on edge and some of the liquid runs perpendicular to the original track. The development is retarded wherever there are splashes. That would only be the case if something like fix or stop hit the film just before the prewet.
In summary, it is as if the film were splashed with something, as Ian says, fixer or stop before development began. I would have to say that this is only a very very rough guess though.
Did you maybe damage the emulsion by wiping it with tissue?? I never do that, I just let them hang drying without touching, wet film is very fragile.
Sponsored Ad. (Subscribers to APUG have the option to remove this ad.)
If I were yu I would have presoaked 5 minutes with Mirasol. I have noticed that it is very important with acros to presoak with a wetting agent. Which developer did you use?
I have had these types of defaults developping acros in PMK. The solution wath to presaok with wetting agent, and to add EDTA 1% in the developper (5-10mL for one liter)
What do you mean exactly ? Exposure to light ?
Originally Posted by Neal
What is really strange, is that 2 of the films are 100% ok. No problems, whereas the other 4 show these strange streaks.
Maybe the spirals where contaminated ??
Maybe I pushed the first of the two film too far into the spiral thus bending the film ???
Glad you noticed the directions of the streaks Ron it clearly indicates that its a processing problem.
It is very important to remove the seals from the tops on Jobo tanks (well the ones I use anyway) when you finish processing and wash everything very thoroughly.
Washing the films in the tanks doesn't remove chemicals which have got around and between the seal and top, I've made that mistake myself. Luckily I spotted it because the fixer crystals could be seen clearly.
That may well have been the problem here.
Thanks Ian. That sounds convincing to me. I normally just wash the tanks + seals shortly under running water. I will do it more carefully for the next developments. Hopefully it will solve my problem.
Originally Posted by Ian Grant
Ian, since I could not tell the edges of the film from the scan, I assumed that they went lenghtwise with the film which is in agreement with what you and I both said. That would be the most logical.
OTOH, if they went width wise, then there was something on the reel in the first place that got splashed onto the negative and then 'rolled' at a right angle when the agitation started. Still in agreement with what we said, but taking place from the reel instead of the lid perhaps. IDK.
I have been thinking of this and have heard of it as a 'coating' defect, where moisture splashed across a moving web and left streaks in which the larger droplets spread at right angles due to the coating speed.