Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,834   Online: 973

Shooter
    35mm RF

Problems with negativ development

I developped 6 Acros 100 as follows in Jobo Tank : (all chemicals were fresh)
    I put 2-120 films on 1 spiral (Jobo)
    temperature 20 grad Celsius
    rotation with Heiland TAS prozessor

1. pre-wetting 3 min in Distilled water
    2. Development in XTOL 1+1 for 12:30 min (prepared with distilled water)
    3. Stopper 30 sec
    4. Fixer 5 min
    5. Washing 15 min
    6. Tetenal Mirasol 1 min (2 ml for 1 l of water)
    7. hanged + dried films with paper tissue
    8. wait until completely dry

The films have the following problem with spots/streaks as you can notice
    on the attached pictures. Air bubbles ?
    The day after I processed 3x135 Acros films using the same procedure and I have no problem with the negs.
    Any feedback is welcome ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Problème-Negatif.jpg   Problème-Negatif-Invert.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It looks like contamination, it doesn't look like air bubble but I don't know where from,

Maybe fixer crystals from the tank top/lid

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear sgoetzin,

Could you have some contamination from the camera?

Neal Wydra

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is a very unusual pattern. Notice that the bulk of the streaks travel in one direction, from top to bottom, but they have small horizontal extensions. Also note that they are lighter (less development) than the background.

I have seen this when the film is not prewet, but is splashed with liquid which runs down the film and then the film is set on edge and some of the liquid runs perpendicular to the original track. The development is retarded wherever there are splashes. That would only be the case if something like fix or stop hit the film just before the prewet.

In summary, it is as if the film were splashed with something, as Ian says, fixer or stop before development began. I would have to say that this is only a very very rough guess though.

PE

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Did you maybe damage the emulsion by wiping it with tissue?? I never do that, I just let them hang drying without touching, wet film is very fragile.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    If I were yu I would have presoaked 5 minutes with Mirasol. I have noticed that it is very important with acros to presoak with a wetting agent. Which developer did you use?
    I have had these types of defaults developping acros in PMK. The solution wath to presaok with wetting agent, and to add EDTA 1% in the developper (5-10mL for one liter)
    Aurelien, Analog Photographer

the analog place to be

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Neal View Post
    Dear sgoetzin,

Could you have some contamination from the camera?

Neal Wydra
    What do you mean exactly ? Exposure to light ?

What is really strange, is that 2 of the films are 100% ok. No problems, whereas the other 4 show these strange streaks.
    Maybe the spirals where contaminated ??
    Maybe I pushed the first of the two film too far into the spiral thus bending the film ???

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Glad you noticed the directions of the streaks Ron it clearly indicates that its a processing problem.

It is very important to remove the seals from the tops on Jobo tanks (well the ones I use anyway) when you finish processing and wash everything very thoroughly.

Washing the films in the tanks doesn't remove chemicals which have got around and between the seal and top, I've made that mistake myself. Luckily I spotted it because the fixer crystals could be seen clearly.

That may well have been the problem here.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Glad you noticed the directions of the streaks Ron it clearly indicates that its a processing problem.

It is very important to remove the seals from the tops on Jobo tanks (well the ones I use anyway) when you finish processing and wash everything very thoroughly.

Washing the films in the tanks doesn't remove chemicals which have got around and between the seal and top, I've made that mistake myself. Luckily I spotted it because the fixer crystals could be seen clearly.

That may well have been the problem here.

Ian
    Thanks Ian. That sounds convincing to me. I normally just wash the tanks + seals shortly under running water. I will do it more carefully for the next developments. Hopefully it will solve my problem.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Ian, since I could not tell the edges of the film from the scan, I assumed that they went lenghtwise with the film which is in agreement with what you and I both said. That would be the most logical.

OTOH, if they went width wise, then there was something on the reel in the first place that got splashed onto the negative and then 'rolled' at a right angle when the agitation started. Still in agreement with what we said, but taking place from the reel instead of the lid perhaps. IDK.

I have been thinking of this and have heard of it as a 'coating' defect, where moisture splashed across a moving web and left streaks in which the larger droplets spread at right angles due to the coating speed.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin