Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,685   Posts: 1,548,602   Online: 1339

Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2678910111213 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ath View Post
    What is confidential regarding the fact if the Kentmere plant is still active or not?
    Stop talking BS and state facts.
    Now who is being agressive?

No doubt Simon Galley will pop along when he sees this and let us know the reality. Until then I suggest holding your horses and not get into pointless flames with others.

Cheers, Bob.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can we dial back the rhetoric, please? If not, I'll just delete all the new posts, and you can try again.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    I sent out an email to Simon asking if this is true or not.
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can soon find out whether the plant is still there or whatever - just phone them:

01565 684000

or go there:

KENTMERE Limited
    STAVELEY
    KENDAL
    CUMBRIA LA8 9PB

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    To clarify the original German post was not made by Ath (Andreas) on the Analoge Photo Gruppe forum, APHOG a kind of German APUG.

It was made by the Forum Operator, Juergen W. Nickel and reads as follows (translated):

"The company (Kentmere) is sold, all coworkers obviously dismisses and so far I heard, even the machines should be already completely scrapped.
    Does Ilford sell still further products under the name Kentmere and if, which sell then?"

Read what you want into his words, but there isn't the slightest substance of truth other than the fact that Kentmere was sold. It's a great pity that a forum operator ? owner or/moderator feels it necessary to post unsubstantiated statements of this nature on his own forum. Perhaps Herr Nickel should try reading APUG and particularly the statements by Simon Galley, or contact Kentmere himself as Matt suggests.

Ian

ath
    Shooter
    35mm
    Ian, I just realized, that your "translation" is from babelfish. Is your understanding of the german discussion based on machine translation?
    Regards,
    Andreas

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Andreas, can you translate it for us please? I see you're from Germany and your written English seems very good. It would be helpful. My German is very rusty.
    Thanks if you decide to.
    - Thomas
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Part 1:
    "Die Firma ist verkauft, alle Mitarbeiter offensichtlich entlassen und soweit ich gehört habe, sogar die Maschinen sollen schon komplett verschrottet sein.
    Verkauft Ilford denn noch weiterhin Produkte unter dem Namen Kentmere und wenn, was verkaufen die dann?"
    Part 2:
    Question from other poster:
    "Woher hast du diese Information? Welchen Sinn macht es für Ilford ein Werk vollständig zu übernehmen und es zu verschrotten? Ich vermute stark, dass Ilford nicht einen überproportionalen Gewinn dieses Jahr erwirtschaftet hat um mit dem Aufkauf von Kentmere diesen enorm zu senken (Stichwort Kostenübernahme).
    Gruß Jörg"
    Answer:
    "Es wurde Ende Oktober beim FotoForum in Münster als InsiderInfo laut hinter vorgehaltener Hand verkündet, nämlich daß die Maschinen schon demontiert waren - also nicht einmal 2 Wochen nach der Übernahme durch Harman war wohl die Fertigung von Kentmer nur noch Geschichte - ad acta - Game over.
    Es ging Harman doch auch nur darum sich einen lästigen Konkurrenten vom Hals zu schaffen.
    Aber Harman selber hat auch nie ein Geheimnis daraus gemacht, daß die Produktion von Kentmer Papier sofort nach Mobberley in das ILFORD-Werk verlegt wird/wurde........... Wink aber natürlich wird es weiter unter dem Namen Kentmer verkauft - aber ist da auch noch Kentmer drin???? - Ein »Chelm« der das in Frage stellt weglach
    Gruss
    Jürgen W. Nickel"
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    About 2 years ago, I read on the Kentmere site that they had added a new coating machines and additional workers to cope with increased orders after Kodak exited the photo paper arena.

If this is true, they have a very modern coating facilty, perhaps equal to or more modern than that of Ilford (again sorry Simon, as I have no idea). In any event, it would be wise to keep all of the most modern equipment that is available and adapt as or if the market continues to shrink.

This move was very smart on the part of all concerned.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Regarding the German above posted by Thomas, my German is certainly rusty but the first paragraph does indeed match what Ian has posted.

The second one says essentially "where did you hear all this, can you confirm it?" Or something like that.

The third is an answer relating encounters with people who should know, telling him that Kentmere equipment is already demolished and production is being moved to Ilford.

That is about the best my rusty German can do on it. It does not prove anything one way or another, as only Simon can give us the 'real' information. But, why buy a company only then to demolish it? Sounds rather unsound to me.

PE

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin