Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,953   Posts: 1,522,758   Online: 1000

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary Holliday View Post
    I'm not sure what to make of this. Ilford/ Harman pi**ed me off when they halted the production of the Cooltone developer. How many Kentmere products will no longer be cost effective?

Obviously early days to answer this, but will any old Kentmere products be resurrected? The Art range of papers for example? Foma have similar products so not sure why Ilford/ Kentmere can't use a similar method?

Hopefully the acquisition will lead to increased profits.
    "Not cost effective" = we photographers just didn't buy enough...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The paranoid in me worries - I used Azo exclusively, then Forte Polywarmtone, and have now recently switched to Kentona. I hope I haven't killed off this wonderful paper, too.
    juan

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Hmmm. Not sure about this, there are pros and cons both ways. Companies often say that there will be relatively few changes, but in the end there always are, particularly if hard times hit. Accounts and IT are rationalised along with marketing, sales, R&D, distribution, etc. That's a bl**dy big warehouse they've got at Mobberley which was less than half full on our visit in 2006.

I suppose only time will tell on this one.

Hopefully the larger resources of Harman will help Kentmere. Perhaps they can now buy the Forte Polywarmtone formula and equipment. I've just cracked open my last packet of Art Classic, so please sort out that one Harman.

In the end, I hope it works out well for both companies, employees and us customers.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    The paranoid in me worries - I used Azo exclusively, then Forte Polywarmtone, and have now recently switched to Kentona. I hope I haven't killed off this wonderful paper, too.
    juan
    Ah, so you`re the JINX. I like Kentona as well and would like to see a resin-coated version introduced, as I particularly like this paper for portraiture where as I find the base tint of Multigrade WT a bit too strong at times.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Although it does start to look like a monopoly, at least in the medium-term I don't see this as a problem of looming price increases. Kentmere has always been priced lower than Ilford. Having them in-house sets up a pricing structure for Ilford/Harman - they can have a product they can market to students and the educational market now without undercutting their profits. It's a smart move for them. I'd also think they would keep some of the fringe products like Kentona because they add diversity to the product line, without any new R&D costs or major marketing push.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Simon R Galley View Post
    Speaking of the deal, HARMAN's Chairman and Managing Director, Phil Harris said : " HARMAN has an acquisitive growth policy and is keen to be seen as the natural home for high-quality imaging products.
    Interesting comment. So, who's next? Maybe Fotospeed?

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the news update, Simon. (Remember, you read it here first. At least I did...)

Quote Originally Posted by tim_walls View Post
    I take this as good news... One thing I was dwelling on during the Mobberley tour was how dangerous it was only having one coating facility (disaster recovery planning is part of the day job, tragically this is the sort of thing I worry about); I'm sure transferring production from one to the other would require an enormous amount of work, but if nothing else it provides some revenue generating capacity for the group if something 'bad' happened to one or other plant.
    Indeed, this is something that has been in the back of my mind as well since the Mobberley tour. Especially after all the flooding news from the UK.

shuttr.net
    -- A sinister little midget with a bucket and a mop / Where the blood goes down the drain --

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by kraker View Post
    Thanks for the news update, Simon. (Remember, you read it here first. At least I did...)

Indeed, this is something that has been in the back of my mind as well since the Mobberley tour. Especially after all the flooding news from the UK.
    Coating Company A's products on Company B's product line would not be the work of a moment.

Well, all I can say is I'm glad that FotoImpex has resurrected Agfa MCP and MCC -because I've certainly bought my last box of Kentmere Fineprint...though I rather doubt Ilford will be offering it for very long, anyhow
    Digital Photography is just "why-tech" not "high tech"..

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Leest View Post
    I don't like it. Here is the construction of a monopoly going on and that means UNLIMITED price increases.

-M-
    Well, at least you are in the EU where the EMU is relatively strong even against the UK Pound.

The US Dollar is getting torn to pieces right now against the UK Pound, so any price increases will likely be even worse over here.

Anyhow, this does go to show one thing...

Nobody should feel they know ANYTHING about the relative health of any of these companies. We'd been told for the past few years that all was well at Kentmere with their new production facility, leaner staff, etc., and a very dedicated photo-enthusiast owner.

Well if all of the above were true, why did this deal get made?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeg View Post
    Hmmm. Not sure about this, there are pros and cons both ways. Companies often say that there will be relatively few changes, but in the end there always are, particularly if hard times hit. Accounts and IT are rationalised along with marketing, sales, R&D, distribution, etc. That's a bl**dy big warehouse they've got at Mobberley which was less than half full on our visit in 2006.

I suppose only time will tell on this one.

Hopefully the larger resources of Harman will help Kentmere. Perhaps they can now buy the Forte Polywarmtone formula and equipment. I've just cracked open my last packet of Art Classic, so please sort out that one Harman.

In the end, I hope it works out well for both companies, employees and us customers.

Mike

As regards to Forte PWT at Kentmere - I don't think that will happen. Some of the former Forte R&D folks are at Foma trying to adapt Foma's own mutli-grade warmtone paper to behave more like PWT. Or, at least that's what member "Fotohuis" (who has deep Foma ties) has claimed.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567812 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin